Penn Jillette Weighs in on Marijuana, Big Gov’t & Hypocrisy: ‘Obama Giggles About Dope Smoking & Doing Cocaine, But…’
Author, illusionist and actor Penn Jillette has a fascinating background. As you may know, he’s an atheist libertarian who is known for sharing his unfiltered social and political views at will. Naturally, as a result of this dynamic, Jillette attracts a wide ideological variety of supporters and fans. While many secularists simply love his message, as do a fair number of religious conservatives who also find him intriguing.
In a recent interview with writer Kevin Kelly that was published in The Washington Times Communities section, the famed comedian was candid about his views on a second term for President Barack Obama, marijuana laws, the creation of a new peace-driven political movement and plenty of other pertinent subjects. As a new presidential cycle is about to launch for the Democratic president, Jillette is hopeful that more “social freedom” will be advanced.
While he is pleased, to a degree, with Obama’s take on various social issues, he’s hoping to see the president advance this agenda even further in a second term. Of particular note, Jillette said that he wishes Obama “would be more respectful to people who want to smoke marijuana”; he also said he wishes the president would more readily embrace states’ rights.
“Obama giggles about dope smoking and doing cocaine, but still seems thrilled to send people to prison for that,” the entertainer said. ”I hasten to add that I have never had a sip of alcohol in my life and never a puff of marijuana, but I do believe that freedom matters and that should be everyone’s right.”
Jillette also spoke out against the Patriot Act, the existence of so-called “kill lists” and other related national security issues. Additionally, he called for a new “peace movement” in America — one that advocates “killing many, many, many fewer people.” Clearly, the illusionist is speaking about the need for a candidate who more readily embraces international peace, as he noted that he views Obama and Republican Mitt Romney as virtually identical on matters of foreign policy.
On the fiscal front, his ideas are equally fascinating. While he embraces a right-of-center worldview, he does so with some caveats:
“People still seem to think that they should vote themselves money. They seem to think there is stuff which they think is the government’s job, when it’s really the individual’s job. You have to be careful as a libertarian because you can sound very Republican. I don’t want people who are in poverty, in pain, or suffering, to suffer because it’s for their own good and they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I want to help them. I want us all to help them. I just don’t want to use guns to do it.”
Certainly, some conservatives would embrace many of the aforementioned ideals, while others would reject them — but that’s what makes Jillette so unique; he appeals, as stated, to a diverse subset of the American public.
(H/T: Washington Times)
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 584 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 315 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'