Which Hollywood Actor Admits He Cracked a Muslim Joke to President Obama?
President Barack Obama has made no secret that he’s a fan of the Showtime thriller “Homeland.” The series that follows a CIA agent as she tries to unravel national security mysteries is the new “it” show, and Obama has said he’s hooked. So does it come as a surprise that one of the stars of that show admits he once cracked a Muslim joke to the president?
Before we get too far, let’s make clear that the joke was a way to make fun of those who throw out the accusation that Obama is a Muslim. Damian Lewis, who is British and plays Nicholas Brody, was on “The Jonathan Ross Show” recently and recounted the time the cast of the show sent Obama a signed DVD set of the first season (at the behest of the Teamsters union). It was in his signature that he included the joke.
“Claire Danes [who plays the main character] had written something really lovely and sweet saying, ‘I was a fan of yours long before you were a fan of ours,’” Lewis told the host. And after trying to figure out what to add, he said, “I went, ‘From one Muslim to another’ in an indelible Sharpie. I couldn’t take it back.”
Lewis’s character plays a Muslim Marine on the show.
You can watch him talk about it starting at the 3:16 mark and the talk about the president starts at about six minutes:
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 429 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 376 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 335 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 307 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 302 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 158 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 102 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Suspected rebels kill 16, wound 25 in east India
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Wash. bridge
- Egypt top court rules against religious slogans
- Turkish couples kiss in subway in protest
- Brewers closer Henderson out with hamstring injury
- Police: Suspected Maoist rebels kill 16 people in attack in eastern India
- Ex-minor leaguer says baseball cheating lives
- Cambodian film on Pol Pot rule wins Cannes prize