Bill Maher Calls Rush Limbaugh a ‘Racist & a Misogynist’ & Rallies Progressives to Challenge Obama
Comedian Bill Maher is elated in the wake of the 2012 presidential election. On Tuesday evening, he joined Eliot Spitzer, former New York governor and host of Current’s “Viewpoint,” to discuss President Barack Obama’s re-election win, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s future and his advice for progressives. He also had some tough words for radio host Rush Limbaugh.
“It was a pleasure to watch,” Maher said about Obama’s victory last week.
It didn’t take long for the discussion to turn to the Republican Party and its failure to carry Mitt Romney to the finish line. But the electoral loss wasn’t the only issue discussed. Spitzer noted the GOP’s purportedly wrong-headed views on other subjects like climate change and stressed the importance of ushering in a “reality check” for conservatives.
“How do we shake both the Karl Roves of the world and the people who still listen to Fox out of the reality on those other substantive areas where there isn’t an election-day reality check?,” Spitzer asked Maher.
“I don’t know. If losing an election this badly doesn’t do it, I don’t know what will,” the comedian responded.
Surprisingly, not all of the comments uttered about Republicans were negative. Despite noting that he doesn’t agree with Christie’s political ideology, the comedian had favorable words for the governor, calling him a “hopeful beacon for the Republican party.”
Two other moments, though, stood out in the interview — one during which Maher seemingly called young people (a key cohort supporting Democrats) uninformed and another in which he dubbed Limbaugh a racist.
“This generation especially — they may not be well-informed — I think we’re still going to have a lot of low-information voters, but they are kind of savvy about media,” Maher told Spitzer.
As far as the changes that the Republican Party allegedly needs to make, appealing to Hispanics was discussed. On this front, the HBO host had some controversial and unfavorable words for Limbaugh, among other conservative commentators. Here’s what he had to say:
“Racial stuff — that’s going to be harder for [the Republicans]. I saw right after the election a number of them — Rush Limbaugh I saw lamenting the passing of the white demographic. He basically was saying, ‘Well what do you expect me to be? I’m a racist and a misogynist. You don’t expect me to give that up. What happened to the days, people, when you could speak crap about blacks and latinos and gays and they wouldn’t hold it against you at the polls? Gee, what are we coming to.’”
The comments about Limbaugh and misogyny were particularly interesting, considering Spitzer’s own prostitution scandal — one that cost him his political career.
Maher went on to encourage progressives to hold Obama’s “feet to the fire.” While targeting conservatives has been the strategy to date, the comedian claims it is now important to liberals to get Obama to listen to the issues that are important to them.
Watch Maher’s interview with Spitzer, below:
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 435 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 411 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 343 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 319 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 103 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 128 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 119 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 230 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 243 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Arias jury deadlocks but must keep deliberating
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Minn. teen whose farewell song became web hit dies
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- WikiLeaks case file fight moves to federal court
- Tesla uses stock, note sale to repay government