Dramatic Police Footage Shows Car of Allegedly Drunk ‘Doctor of the Year’ Going Airborne in Wild Accident
As an ER doctor at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Massachusetts, it’s probably safe to assume Kristin Howard has seen the effects of drunk driving accidents. Last week though, her own alleged drunk driving actions sent a man to her own ER, and police have released the video footage of the scene.
The 56-year-old doctor, who was the hospital’s 2009 “Doctor of the Year” according to ABC News, was arrested on Nov. 9 after she sped through a supermarket parking lot, over a grassy median and onto a street, where it slammed into two other vehicles. Paul McDonald, a 78-year-old man, required hospitalization after the accident.
WCVP-TV reported McDonald, who has two cracked ribs, saying the crash felt like a bomb going off inside the car.
“And then I had the feeling the roof was collapsing and I said, ‘Oh, what a way to go.’” McDonald told the ABC affiliate.
Watch this police footage of the incident, which shows Howard’s car going airborne over the median as it came out of the Whole Foods parking lot:
It wasn’t past 9 a.m. when the crash occurred. Howard was arrested after failing two sobriety tests, according to CNN.
ABC News reported police also saying they found class C and E controlled substances, which were prescription drugs that she allegedly wrote for herself. Here’s more on that point:
Police say that when they stopped Howard she was still wearing scrubs and told them she was on her way to the hospital. She then changed her story and told police she was heading home. That’s when police found the prescription drugs.
“Prescribed from Dr. Howard to Kristin Howard, which certainly raises some flags, your honor,” prosecutor Matt Friedel said in court.
Massachusetts law forbids doctors from self-prescribing medication.
Howard was released on personal recognizance after pleading not guilty to seven charges Tuesday in connection Friday’s crash. She will appear in court again in January.
A spokeswoman for Newton-Wellesley Hospital says Howard has been relieved of her duties.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 474 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 449 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 425 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 317 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 113 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested