Pick-Up Truck at Thai Border Found Smuggling 600 Cobras
BANGKOK (TheBlaze/AP) — Thai authorities have seized a pickup truck full of deadly cobras at a checkpoint in the country’s central region. They believe the snakes came from Malaysia and were destined for a third country for use in traditional medicine or human consumption.
Thai Customs chief Benja Louicharoen said Tuesday that officials found 600 cobras worth about 500,000 baht ($16,500) in mesh bags inside plastic baskets in the truck.
Officials arrested the Thai driver after the suspicious vehicle was stopped 210 kilometers (130 miles) south of Bangkok.
Benja said the man confessed that he was delivering the snakes to northeast Thailand where they were to be smuggled over the border into Laos.
Watch this NTD TV report:
Thailand is a major transit country for illegal wildlife trafficking in Asia.
“At the moment, countries are concentrating on stopping illegal wildlife smuggling and trading, especially through Thailand as passageway,” Theerapat Prayurabiddhi, the deputy director in the custom department, said, according to NTDTV. “Thai customs is doing our best to follow the illegal activities, by investigating and stopping the smuggling.”
- There’s Now a Video of Scientists Wrestling that Record-Breaking Python Caught in Florida
- Blood-Curdling (Literally!): See How Snake Venom Reacts With Human Blood
- Epic Vid: Giant Spider Battling Snake Caught on Film (Arachnophobes and Ophidiophobes Beware!)
- Snakes on a Plane: Man Tries to Take Live 247 Reptiles and Other Animals on Trans-Atlantic Flight
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 442 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 425 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 422 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 321 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 272 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 178 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 136 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 243 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Okla. men get video of deadly tornado overhead
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- House passes GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Brutal attack in London blamed on radical Islam