Report: Petraeus Agrees to Testify Before Congressional Committees About Libya Attacks
Former CIA Director David Petraeus has agreed to voluntarily testify before the House and Senate intelligence committees about the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Fox News reported Wednesday morning.
Petraeus had been slated to testify Thursday before his abrupt resignation last week, after which Acting CIA Director Michael Morell was expected to take his place.
“Mr. Petraeus has indicated his willingness [to testify],” Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) told Politico. “He is eager to come before the committee so we will work out the details.”
No exact schedule has been set for Petraeus’ testimony. He resigned from his post Friday after admitting to an extramarital affair.
The CIA has come under sharp scrutiny in the wake of the Sept. 11 Benghazi terror attacks that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
“I believe he will. I think he’s a responsible person and I believe he will come,” Feinstein said.
Some lawmakers had threatened to subpoena Petraeus if he did not come voluntarily.
“I hope we don’t have to subpoena a four-star general and the former CIA director, I hope he would come voluntarily, but if he won’t he will be subpoenaed and none of what has happened [with the resignation] is a defense to a subpoena,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said on Fox News.
This post has been updated.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 467 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 441 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 344 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 163 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 205 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 141 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 100 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Blake Shelton putting together Okla. benefit show
- 2 infants among 10 kids killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Beatles' lyrics headed for British Library
- House Republicans promote 20-week abortion ban
- Sathwik Karnik wins National Geographic Bee
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- 'BOOM TOWN BABY': African stock markets see gains
- Russian drunk driver who killed orphans sentenced