Does the Bible Predict that Iran Will Become a ‘Christian Country’? Muslim-Turned-Evangelical Issues Eyebrow-Raising Proclamation
Dr. Hormoz Shariat, an evangelical and the founder of Iran Alive Ministries, issued an intriguing proclamation in a recent telecast conversation with Family Research Council President Tony Perkins. During the event, called ”The Cry of the Martyrs: The Threat to Religious Liberty Around the World,” Shariat said that he is convinced, despite widespread crackdowns on non-Muslims that the Islamic Republic of Iran is poised to become a Christian nation.
“Iran will be a Christian country, and that’s not up to me. It’s Jeremiah 49:38 [that] promises that. We are moving in that direction fast,” he proclaimed during an FRC event on Wednesday. ”There is a spiritual vacuum in Iran and people are hungry spiritually. That’s when we share the Gospel, share the Word of God through television people sit there for hours, take notes.”
The verse Shariat references reads (NIV), “‘I will set my throne in Elam and destroy her king and officials,’ declares the Lord.” Since Elam was an ancient civilization existing where Iran currently resides, the evangelical leader believes that prophesy will play itself out and that God will very literally place his “throne” in this region.
While some may dismiss Shariat and his claims, as The Christian Post notes, he is dubbed “The Billy Graham of Iran.” His television broadcast airs throughout the Muslim nation and he has experience measuring and understanding how faith is being interpreted and handled within the nation’s borders.
“Iran is so open to the Gospel. So many people are come to Christ through our ministry in the US and in Europe, but especially in Iran,” the faith leader continued, according to the Post. “As we share the Gospel through television, people come to Christ. And not just ‘easy’ believers, they have become dedicated followers of Jesus Christ.”
While his prediction is certainly bold, Shariat’s claims follow a March 2012 report from Open Doors USA, an organization that serves persecuted Christians across the globe. In it, the group reported that the growth of conversions from Islam to Christianity in the Islamic Republic is “explosive.”
“Forty years ago an estimated 200 Muslim Background Believers were living in Iran. Today the estimation is 370,000…,” the report reads. “According to Open Doors, the house church movement has triggered many secret meetings. The growth is happening in all regions, but mostly in the larger cities.”
Whether Iran will, indeed, become a Christian nation is yet to be seen. But if current regulations and crackdowns continue on Muslims and non-Muslims, alike, such a prospect seems difficult to imagine. Then again, difficult is rarely synonymous with impossibility.
(H/T: Christian Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner