Israeli Victim Was 25-Year-Old Pregnant Woman About to Attend Memorial Service for Friends Killed in 2008 Terror Attack
Jewish religious leaders identified the three Israelis killed Thursday morning when a Grad rocket launched by a terrorist group in Gaza slammed into their apartment building in Kiryat Malachi. Tragically, one of those killed was a 25-year-old pregnant mother of three planning to attend a memorial service for friends killed in a notorious terrorist attack in Mumbai, India in 2008.
According to the international Jewish organization Chabad Lubavitch, the two men and woman were identified as Ahron Smadga, Yitzchak Amselam, and the pregnant woman, Mirah (nee Cohen) Scharf.
In fact, like the two Chabad emissaries killed in Mumbai in 2008, Scharf was involved in Jewish community outreach in India. Israeli political consultant Jonny Daniels tells TheBlaze that a leader of the Chabad Lubavitch movement for which she worked told him that Scharf returned to Israel to give birth because of the high level of medical care in Israel.
Chillingly, the memorial service for the Mumbai victims, Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka, was planned for Thursday. According to the Hebrew calendar, they were killed on the first day of the Jewish month of Kislev, which is today, the same day 25-year-old Scharf was killed.
The Algemeiner reports she was the mother of three young children:
A second victim named Ahron Smadga said to be in his late forties was the father of the 8 month old baby girl who was injured.
“He was married for 20 years and couldn’t have children then he had twin boys nine years ago, and 8 months ago his daughter was born and he was walking around with a smile on his face that he had a daughter after all this years,” [Jonny] Daniels told The Algemeiner.
“He was one of the first Chabad soldiers to join the Israeli Army,” he said.
The third victim was 22 year old Yitzchak Amselam. The funeral is planned for later today.
Algemeiner further quotes an Israeli Chabad website saying: “the entire community is devastated from the tragedy.”
An Israeli Army radio correspondent said at least one of the victims was standing on the balcony watching the rocket launches from the direction of Gaza, but the Chabad website dismisses that contention, writing:
“The shelters in Kiryat Malachi were not readied for the onslaught, and the residents of the building that was hit were running to relative safety under the stairwell of the building, when a missile hit, taking precious lives and injuring the others,” writes Shrurem.org
Kiryat Malachi means “City of Angels” in English. It is a relatively low-income city of 21,000 about 11 miles from Ashkelon in southern Israel.
Here is video taken by an Arutz 7 correspondent showing the extensive damage inside the building in which the three were killed:
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,038 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, chilly spring hurts sales
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology