Nation of Islam Minister Arrested in Undercover Sting for Alleged Solicitation of a Prostitute
Thirty-five people were arrested last week in Birmingham, Alabama, in an undercover prostitution sting dubbed “Operation Red Light.” Among those detained was Tremon Muhammad, 36, a minister with the National of Islam, Louis Farrakhan’s controversial religious denomination.
Muhammad, like many of the others, was detained for solicitation of a prostitute. In the wake of the scandal, the imam’s lawyer, Charles Salvagio, is claiming that something doesn’t seem quite right about the arrest and the associated charges. In fact, he called the situation “fishy,” but didn’t elaborate during an interview with WBRC-TV.
In a separate address, the lawyer went further in his assessment, defending his client and dismissing the claims against him.
“I can tell you unequivocally, he is not guilty,” he said last week. “Anyone who knows the minister knows this is the last thing in the world he would do.”
In a November 8 news report, WBRC explained “Operation Red Light” in detail:
Police conducted an undercover sting operation this week to crack down on prostitution in the Woodlawn area of north Birmingham.
On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Birmingham narcotics officers went undercover to get prostitutes and johns off the street. They focused on the area of 1st Avenue North between 41st Street and 80th Street.
Over the three day sting, police arrested 35 people. Some of the charges include prostitution and a few suspects were picked up on felony charges.
As for Muhammad, his lawyer’s “fishy” claim may have something to do with the fact that the faith leader has a history of speaking out against alleged police brutality. The minister is apparently known for attending anti-violence rallies across Birmingham and, in 2011, he was a vocal supporter of a man who was purportedly beaten by police.
Muhammad, a student minister at Muhammad Mosque 69, even led a campaign to have the officers who were caught on video purportedly needlessly beating the man fired. He publicly called for an independent commission, too, including members of National of Islam, that was intended to investigate the case.
Video of that beating can be seen below (caution: violence):
“I hope this arrest has nothing to do with the beating case,” Salvagio added last week.
Only time will tell if the charges against the minister were manufactured or legitimate. It seems his lawyer will likely be exploring whether Muhammad’s vocal speech aimed at cops resulted in the aforementioned arrest.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 466 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 447 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 414 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 331 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute