Giant ‘Ring of Life’ Being Constructed in China — But What For?
Last year, the bizarre structures seen in China’s Gobi desert garnered a lot of attention. Other strange structures seen via satellite continue to baffle some. But it’s not desert oddities bringing China into the news this time: it’s a giant metal ring.
The ring, which was featured in October by The Atlantic in a collection of photos showing “Scenes from 21st Century China,” has continued making its rounds on the Internet after the the Chinese blogger Sina Weibo posted more about it. CRIEnglish.com posted the photos curated by Weibo, which is a microblogging site similar to Twitter.
The 157-meter across metal ring is located in Fushun, which is in China’s Liaoning Province. The blog What’s on Dalian reported that, according to the Fushun government website, the ring is dubbed the “Ring of Life” and its sole purpose is is for sightseeing.
The ring is composed of 3,000 tons of steel, has 12,000 LED lights and four elevators that will take visitors up.
How much is the architectural giant? According to The Atlantic $16 million.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 979 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 426 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 375 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 290 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 135 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 172 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- The 50th Super Bowl goes to San Francisco Bay Area
- Muppets creator's items head to NYC museum
- US lawmakers seek limits on Russia cooperation
- San Francisco Bay Area picked to host 50th Super Bowl in 2016
- Lawyer: Feds investigate Susan Powell case
- Library honors Carole King with US pop music prize
- Photos of Tucson shooting scene show gun, knife
- In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids