S.E. Cupp vs. Liberal Nun: A Clip You’ll Probably Want to See
It’s not often you get to see a pundit go head-to-head with a nun, but that’s exactly what unfolded on MSNBC’s “The Cycle” on Thursday. Co-host S.E. Cupp (also co-host of TheBlaze TV’s “Real News”) went up against Sister Simone Campbell, the nun known for her involvement in the “Nuns on the Bus” tour, a Catholic social justice program.
The discussion turned a bit sour when Cupp made some points about welfare. While she started by noting that everyone, conservative and liberal, alike, can get on board with decreasing poverty, the co-host noted some major issues with the welfare system as it currently exists.
“Expanding welfare hasn’t reduced poverty,” Cupp said. “In fact, adding millions to the ranks of welfare has seen poverty explode over the past four years, so what’s the balanced response here?”
Sister Simone was less than pleased with this statement. Rather than offering up the “balanced response” Cupp asked for, the nun attempted to debunk the co-host’s contention.
“Excuse me, but that data is really wrong. Poverty has increased; welfare has not,” she said. “The real culprit here is minimum wage.”
The nun went on to note that “a big percentage of the people in poverty are the folks who are working.” The group she was referring to here is called the “working poor” (individuals who hold jobs, but who are still not making enough money to survive).
Sister Simone said that a minimum wage of $12.50 would be needed to keep people out of the ranks poverty. She also noted that she hopes Cupp doesn’t call her a “loafer” when she begins drawing upon her Social Security, a system the faith leader has paid into for years.
“I didn’t call anyone a loafer,” Cupp responded.
Watch the uncomfortable exchange, below:
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,041 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 438 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 167 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 116 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 137 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- North Korean leader sends special envoy to China
- Republican divisions may hinder party's momentum
- Life-saving face transplant performed in Poland
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- Mais non! French universities may teach in English
- 7 Egyptian security men kidnapped in Sinai freed