St. Lucie County Canvassing Board Orders Retabulation of All Early Votes in Allen West Race
The St. Lucie County Canvassing Board has ordered the retabulation of all the county’s early votes in the highly contested congressional race between Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) and Democrat Patrick Murphy, according to Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a volunteer lawyer for the West campaign. The board voted 2-1 in favor of recounting the votes.
“This retabulation of all early votes as the Supervisor of Elections originally planned is a victory for democracy,” Shapiro told TheBlaze. “This restores some level of trust and public confidence in the system…it was the right thing to do.”
Starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday, election officials will retabulate a total of 33,379 ballots from all eight days of early voting in St. Lucie County, he explained.
West needs to gain just 249 votes from those ballots to trigger a statutory recount under state law, Shapiro said. West gained 535 votes in the initial recount of 16,275 early voting ballots, making it theoretically possible that the outspoken congressman could pick up the required votes to force a recount. Both candidates combined lost more than 800 votes, however, 80 percent of the decrease was owned Murphy.
Before the canvassing board voted, state Division of Elections official David Drury made a “personal” recommendation that all early votes in the county be retabulated after officials realized there were 304 early voting ballots that were never counted. There was also reportedly a missing “communications log.”
St. Lucie County was the only one of three counties in the district that Murphy won. The St. Lucie County elections office previously admitted double-counting some votes and missing others on election night. West has refused to concede and relentlessly pushed for a recount of early votes in the county. Now he hopes he can pick up enough votes to force a full recount, which would bring Martin and Palm Beach counties into the mix as well.
According to Florida law, the race must be within 0.5 percent or closer for a “recount.” A “retabulation” occurs if the canvassing board decides there were mistakes made in the initial counting of ballots.
The Murphy campaign has vowed to go to court in order to prevent a recount of early votes.
“If the canvassing board were to decide that they want to do that without any evidentiary basis to do so, we’ll be back before your honor with a motion for injunctive relief against them doing it because under the law the statute that we cited for your honor they have absolutely no right to do it,” Murphy attorney Gerald Richman said in court on Friday.
A circuit judge dealt the West campaign a blow, one that he was able to overcome, earlier on Friday after he ruled he didn’t have the authority to order a county-wide recount of early votes.
This story has been updated.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 472 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 425 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 103 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested