Chris Christie Scrutinizes Romney’s ‘Gifts’ Remarks: You Can’t Be a Leader & Be Divisive
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie on Friday distanced himself from former presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s “gifts” remarks, making him the latest in a growing list of Republican leaders to do so.
“You can’t expect to be a leader of all the people and be divisive,” said Gov. Christie when asked by the hosts of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” whether he agreed with Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.), who was the first to push back against Romney’s comments.
“You have to talk about themes, policies that unite people. And play to their aspirations and their goals and their hopes for their family and their neighbors. And I always think this is scapegoating after elections. When you lose, you lost,” said the New Jersey governor.
MSNBC host Joe Scarborough asked Christie whether he thinks it’s time for Romney to move on.
“That’s up to him,” Gov. Christie responded. “Listen, Mitt Romney is a friend of mine. I understand he is very upset about having lost the election and very disappointed,” adding that he’s a “good man.”
“Do I wish he hadn’t said those things? Of course. But on the other hand, I’m not going to bury the guy for it,” he added.
Romney during a conference call with top donors accused young voters, women, and minorities of voting for Barack Obama because he offered them “gifts,” TheBlaze reported yesterday.
“It’s a proven political strategy, which is give a bunch of money to a group and, guess what, they’ll vote for you,” said Romney.
“What I would do if I were a Democrat running four years from now — I’d say dental care ought to be included in Obamacare,” Romney told donors,” he added.
What the president did is he gave them two things. One, he gave them a big gift on immigration with the DREAM Act amnesty program, which was obviously very, very popular with Hispanic voters, and then number two was Obamacare … For a home earning — let’s say $30,000 a year — free health care, which is worth about $10,000 a year, I mean it’s massive, it’s huge. So this — he did two very popular things for the Hispanic community.
When asked about these comment, Gov. Bobby Jindal said that they were absolutely wrong” and that “we have got to stop dividing American voters.”
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
(H/T: National Journal). All photos courtesy the AP.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 499 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 458 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 452 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 338 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 175 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 113 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Canadian trucking company says it had permits
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- AP source: FIFA task force seeks 5-game racism ban
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Chile blocks world's highest mine project
- Actress Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss