Anti-Acorn Mom’s Oak Tree Claims Debunked By Nut-Allergic SUN News Reporter?
On Thursday, TheBlaze told you about a mother in Vaughan, Canada, bent on ensuring that oak trees near her kid’s school be cut down. The odd action is being requested due to the woman’s fears that fallen acorns pose a risk to children with severe nut allergies. But, in a unique news experiment conducted just a few days ago, the concerned mother’s fears may have been invalidated.
Donna Giustizia, the woman who has spawned debate, attracted widespread media attention this month, as some have questioned just how dangerous acorns — which are rarely consumed in North America — are to those who have life-threatening reactions to nuts. Despite the uncertainty and reportedly low risk, she has maintained her fears over the damage that these trees could create.
While numerous experts have weighed in of late to say that the tree nuts, themselves, likely aren’t a danger if they are merely touched, SUN News staffers decided to test the theory out for themselves. So, they sent the network’s social media reporter, Gina Phillips (who has severe nut allergies) down to a local park to pick up the acorns and test out Giustizia’s theory.
Did she react to the acorns during the experiment? Did the tree nuts prove to be the dastardly danger that Giustizia has claimed? While the reporter didn’t test the mother’s other argument — that acorns “can also be used to bully and torment children,” the allergy findings are worth checking out.
Watch the SUN News segment below to see what happened to Phillips:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 532 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 468 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 458 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 344 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on
- 25 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Japanese man, 80, oldest to top Everest _ for now
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 3 more arrested
- Report: Rafsanjani blasts Iran's rulers