Pro-Occupy Doctor Arrested With ‘Large Amounts’ of Bomb-Making Materials
Over the weekend the Associated Press reported that large amounts of bomb-making materials were found in the home of unemployed New Jersey doctor Roberto Rivera.
Little was known about the man initially, but multiple sources are now saying he was prominently affiliated with the controversial Occupy Wall Street movement.
ABC News writes that the 60-year-old doctor’s home was searched Friday after police received a tip that he was in possession of hazardous and explosive materials, and though they didn’t get into specifics, police said they found a large amount of a chemical typically used in the creation of bombs.
Not only that, but they also found “several other precursor chemicals commonly used in the making of explosive devices,” according to a press release from Bergen County Prosecutor John L. Molinelli. Rivera was also in possession of a number of assault rifles, other firearms and a stun gun, the release adds.
Rivera even appeared in a Bloomberg News slideshow for Occupy Wall Street, holding a sign that reads “+ Washington Square Park, Too!!!”
The New York Post has more, adding that Rivera has a second home in Yonkers:
“I’m glad that at last the youth of America is able to stand on two feet and take a position that millions of people around the world have taken that they will not be intimidated by the capitalist free-market paradigm and they will fight against gross inequality in distribution of income and assets,” Rivera told Bloomberg News in October 2011.
Rivera also told the Tribeca Trib that he was a volunteer medic who walked around Zuccotti providing medical aid to those in need.
Neighbors in Ridgewood said Rivera, who lives there with his girlfriend, had a combative personality and would cut people off while riding his bike around town.
“He just sneered at me,” said Elizabeth Western.
“He’s just one of those guys who just goes against everything.” [Emphasis added]
Rivera faces six charges according to ABC, including possession of a destructive device and recklessly creating a risk of widespread injury or damage. His bail has been set at $1 million.
Occupy Wall Street representative Bill Dobbs, meanwhile, denied any knowledge of Rivera to ABC, and insisted the movement is committed to non-violence.
WeaselZippers sarcastically concluded: “If this guy was a Tea Partier this would be front-page news.”
(H/T: Gateway Pundit)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 476 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 385 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 323 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 195 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 108 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All Is Lost'
- Maine man appears in court in missing teen's death
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion