SNL: The Real Chris Christie Shows Up to Not Thank ‘Stupid Mayors’ or the Reporters Who Stood Outside During Sandy
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie stopped by “Saturday Night Live” to discuss the ongoing cleanup efforts from Hurricane Sandy — and also to not thank “stupid mayors” who ignored his evacuation orders or the reporters who stood outside in the storm.
Christie, in his now-iconic “governor” fleece, had kind words for the Red Cross, first responders and for his wife “who put up with a husband who has smelled like a wet fleece for the past three weeks.”
“I do not thank any of the stupid mayors who ignored my evacuation orders, they’re idiots!” Christie said, a reference to his run-in with the mayor of Atlantic City.
“I also do not want to thank the reporters that put themselves in danger, you know, by walking into the middle of the hurricane with their cameras,” he continued. “We don’t need you to tell us there’s a hurricane. We have windows.”
CNN’s Ali Velshi earned criticism for standing out in the middle of an increasingly rising street and getting buffeted by the wind and rain for hours on end.
“Finally, I do not want to thank the people who are getting in screaming matches at gas stations over the long lines,” Christie said. “I get it, screaming at people in gas stations is a New Jersey tradition, but don’t do it during a crisis. There’ll be plenty of time for yelling once this is all over.”
Christie closed with quoting from a “famous New Jersey poet” — rocker Bruce Sprinsteen — to which SNL’s Seth Myers said he wasn’t sure he’d classify Springsteen as a poet.
“You’re right, he’s more of a saint,” Christie said.
Christie may have hinted about the surprise appearance on Friday, when he told a reporter he wasn’t answering a question about the maker of Twinkies going out of business because, “I’m on Saturday Night Live enough.”
Watch below, via NBC:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- Chile's Indians take on world's largest gold miner