57 Percent of Americans Believe Israeli Attacks in Gaza Are Justified — But Democratic Support Is Shockingly Low
The ongoing Middle Eastern debacle between Israel and Hamas forges on. And while the chaos rages, a CNN poll published on Monday showcases where the American public stands. The majority of citizens — 57 percent — claim that Israel’s attacks on Gaza are justified. However, there’s one subgroup that sets itself apart from the rest in embracing the notion that the actions are not warranted: Democrats.
The CNN/ORC International poll also found that only one in four Americans believe that the attacks are unjustified. But the most fascinating data was found beneath the surface when analyzing subgroups’ perspectives. CNN Polling Director Keating Holland broke down the most noteworthy segment data.
“Although most Americans think the Israeli actions are justified, there are key segments of the public who don’t necessarily feel that way,” Holland explained. “Only four in ten Democrats think the Israeli actions in Gaza are justified, compared to 74% of Republicans and 59% of independents.”
These aren’t the only differences, though. Israel enjoys higher support among American men (13 percentage points higher) than women. Additionally, older Americans when compared to younger ones are also more supportive (by 15 percentage points, in fact).
As stated, nearly six-in-10 sympathize with the Israelis, with only 13 percent saying that they side with the Palestinians. An additional 11 percent of Americans fall on neither side of the conflict (with 13 percent claiming that they have “no opinion”).
According to Holland, the low figure for Palestinian support is nothing new, as the proportion has never extended beyond 18 percent since the question was first asked in 1988.
Results for this poll were collected via telephone from 1,023 adults between November 16 and 18. The sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 494 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 378 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 173 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 291 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Stocks end lower as investors reassess Fed worries
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener
- Body of 2nd child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- David Beckham bids au revoir to soccer
- Gap's 1st-quarter profits rises 43 percent
- Committee hits stretch run for NY-NJ Super Bowl