Growing Narrative? Dem Rep. Says Attacks on Susan Rice Really Just a Racist ‘Witch Hunt’
Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice was one of the most-seen administration officials in the aftermath of the September 11 Benghazi tragedy. She took to a staggering five Sunday talk shows that weekend to insist, despite overwhelming evidence, that the attack that killed Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans was not terrorism, but a “spontaneous” response to a little-watched YouTube video.
Now that more information has come to light, many are wondering where exactly Rice got these inaccurate “talking points,” and who told her to push them so aggressively. After the possibility was floated that she could become the next Secretary of State, Republican lawmakers questioned if a woman who was the face of a misinformation campaign (intentionally or not) should really hold such a position.
But all of this really only has to do with the color of Rice’s skin. At least, that’s what a growing number of Democratic lawmakers would have you believe.
On Tuesday morning, Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) told CNN’s Soledad O’Brien that objections to Rice’s potential nomination are really just racial “code words” that those who were “born and raised in the South” are easily able to recognize.
“These are code words. We heard them during the campaign. During this recent campaign, we heard Sununu calling our President ‘lazy,’ ‘incompetent.’ These kinds of terms that those of us – especially those of us who were born and raised in the South – we’ve been hearing these little words and phrases all of our lives and we get insulted by them. Susan Rice is as competent as anybody that you will find…. It certainly caused a big problem with me. I don’t like those words. Say that she was wrong for doing it, but don’t call her incompetent. That is something totally different. A lot of very competent people sometimes make errors, and to say that she erroneously did it, I don’t have a problem with it. But to call her incompetent, a PhD Rhodes Scholar, being called incompetent by someone who can’t hold a candle to her intellectually. By someone who said, and Senator McCain called her incompetent as well. But he told us that Sarah Palin was a very competent person to be Vice President of the United States. That ought to tell you a little bit about his judgment.” [Emphasis added]
Here is video of the exchange:
MSNBC also floated the idea.
Richard Wolffe, who was named the vice president and executive editor of MSNBC’s website in October, appeared as a guest on “Hardball” with Chris Matthews Monday night to argue the same thing.
“…Frankly, it’s outrageous that there is this witch hunt going on on the right about these people of color, let’s face it, around this president. Eric Holder, Valerie Jarrett, now Susan Rice — before, it was Van Jones.
“This is not about who is hawkish in the same way John McCain is about foreign policy, because if you look at Iran and Libya, Susan Rice checks those boxes. This is a personal vendetta. It’s about presidential authority.”
Here is video, via the Daily Caller (skip to about 3:10):
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee: Gingrich Is Using Racial ‘Code Words’
- House Women: ‘Clear Sexism and Racism’ Behind GOP Attacks on Susan Rice
- Fiery Obama Lashes Out at Susan Rice Critics: ‘When They Go After the U.N. Ambassador…They’ve Got a Problem With Me’
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 473 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 373 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 285 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 182 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- House panel moves to curb military sexual assaults
- AP source: Obama on Sunday to visit Oklahoma town devastated by monstrous tornado
- 'Boom Town Baby': African stock markets see gains
- First lady lauds effort to preserve DC slave house
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- House takes up GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Congo fighting persists as UN chief arrives