Should This Woman Lose Her Job for Flipping Off the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (And Then Posting a Pic of It)?
Two women have been placed on unpaid leave and could lose their jobs after a photo they took near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery went viral on the Internet.
In the picture Lindsey Stone is seen either yelling or pretending to yell, while giving the middle finger near a sign that asks for “silence and respect.” Her co-worker reportedly took the photo.
Stone works at a non-profit organization usually referred to as “LIFE,” short for “Living Independently Forever,” that helps adults with disabilities in the Cape Cod area.
Within the past 24 hours there appears to have been a huge resurgence in interest in Stone’s photo, and a Facebook page called “Fire Lindsey Stone” has gotten more than 5,000 “likes.”
Hundreds of angry commenters have also posted on LIFE’s Facebook page, asking why they are continuing to employ such disrespectful individuals.
LIFE responded today on their Facebook page:
Reactions are mixed.
One woman commented on LIFE’s page that she doubts Stone and her friend truly “meant no disrespect” in flipping off the Tomb of the Unknowns. Since they appear to have no courtesy for the grief of those who have lost a loved one in the armed forces, she continued, perhaps they need to be taught a far less painful lesson, but a lesson nonetheless.
“I respectfully request you allow them to experience the grief of sudden unemployment,” she wrote, before complimenting the photos of the facility.
Another commenter said they don’t want their disabled family member in the care of people who could flaunt such a horrible lack of judgement.
Still others, though, are saying that the commenters are “overreacting,” and Gawker asks whether Stone should really have her “life ruined” because of a “stupid photo.”
What do you think?
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 591 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 392 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 326 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 282 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him