Should This Woman Lose Her Job for Flipping Off the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (And Then Posting a Pic of It)?
Two women have been placed on unpaid leave and could lose their jobs after a photo they took near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery went viral on the Internet.
In the picture Lindsey Stone is seen either yelling or pretending to yell, while giving the middle finger near a sign that asks for “silence and respect.” Her co-worker reportedly took the photo.
Stone works at a non-profit organization usually referred to as “LIFE,” short for “Living Independently Forever,” that helps adults with disabilities in the Cape Cod area.
Within the past 24 hours there appears to have been a huge resurgence in interest in Stone’s photo, and a Facebook page called “Fire Lindsey Stone” has gotten more than 5,000 “likes.”
Hundreds of angry commenters have also posted on LIFE’s Facebook page, asking why they are continuing to employ such disrespectful individuals.
LIFE responded today on their Facebook page:
Reactions are mixed.
One woman commented on LIFE’s page that she doubts Stone and her friend truly “meant no disrespect” in flipping off the Tomb of the Unknowns. Since they appear to have no courtesy for the grief of those who have lost a loved one in the armed forces, she continued, perhaps they need to be taught a far less painful lesson, but a lesson nonetheless.
“I respectfully request you allow them to experience the grief of sudden unemployment,” she wrote, before complimenting the photos of the facility.
Another commenter said they don’t want their disabled family member in the care of people who could flaunt such a horrible lack of judgement.
Still others, though, are saying that the commenters are “overreacting,” and Gawker asks whether Stone should really have her “life ruined” because of a “stupid photo.”
What do you think?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 307 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 144 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 249 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 111 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 111 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Sweden's riots raise questions about inequality
- Military calls UK attack victim a model soldier
- Wyden: FracFocus 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Obama: Policy in leaks investigations under review
- Israel to discuss military draft reform proposal
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission