News Anchors Stun Audience & Resign Live On-Air: Told to Do ‘Unbalanced News, Politically’
Two Maine news anchors resigned together at the end of Tuesday’s broadcast after “a longstanding battle with upper management over journalistic practices” including being expected to do politically unbalanced news, the Bangor Daily News reported.
Cindy Michaels and Tony Consiglio announced at the end of WVII-TV’s 6 p.m. newscast that it would be their final broadcast together.
“And finally tonight, this will be Tony and my final show together here on ABC 7,” Michaels said. “The last six years have been an interesting and enjoyable time for both of us as we have been the longest running news team in Bangor.”
Consiglio said “some recent developments have come to our attention though and departing together is the best alternative we can take.”
The Daily News reported both anchors were frustrated with the way they were told to do their jobs.
“I just wanted to know that I was doing the best job I could and was being honest and ethical as a journalist, and I thought there were times when I wasn’t able to do that,” Consiglio said.
Michaels, also the station’s news director, cited a “constant disrespecting and belittling of staff” and “a lack of knowledge from ownership and upper management in running a newsroom to the extent that I was not allowed to structure and direct them professionally.”
She also said they were “expected to do somewhat unbalanced news, politically.” Neither one said which political leaning that was.
Mike Palmer, WVII/WFVX vice president and general manager, told the newspaper he wasn’t entirely surprised by the resignations, calling it “unfortunate, but not unexpected.” Still, he disputed the characterizations of management’s role in the newsroom.
“Upper management is not involved in the daily production of the news. Period,” he said.
Neither reporter told anyone prior to the broadcast they were planning to resign.
“We figured if we had tendered our resignations off the air, we would not have been allowed to say goodbye to the community on the air and that was really important for us to do that,” Michaels said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 311 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 266 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom