TSA Regrets ‘Accidental’ Breast Exposure of Congressman’s 17-Year-Old Niece During Pat-Down
The Transportation Security Administration said it regrets the “accidental” breast exposure of a Texas congressman’s 17-year-old niece during a pat-down at Los Angeles International Airport.
The congressman, Republican Rep. Ralph Hall, and Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) are calling for a federal investigation into how the incident occurred, Atlanta’s WSB-TV reported Tuesday. The event took place more than two years ago, but only recently came to light through a Freedom of Information Act request.
According to a TSA incident report, Hall’s niece — who has not been publicly identified — was traveling to Australia with her Christian youth group on March 5, 2010 when she was pulled aside for a secondary screening. According to the report, the girl’s “loose-fitting strapless sundress” slipped down to her stomach during the pat-down by a female officer, “revealing her breasts.”
“During the pat-down of the stomach area (slide procedure), minor passenger’s sundress slipped down to her stomach, revealing her breasts,” the report said. The TSA officer “apologized to the minor passenger for the incident and contacted terminal management.”
The incident took place in the middle of the terminal, the report said. The officer did not offer the passenger a private screening and she did not request one. The girl’s chaperones were “visibly upset” and her father filed a complaint the following day, including noting that he had contacted Hall.
While the incident was caught on surveillance video, the TSA noted that the image quality was poor and the camera angle showed only the girl’s back, making it impossible to determine whether the pat-down was “properly conducted.”
“While embarrassing and unfortunate, the incident appears to be accidental due to the…loose-fitting, full-length strapless sundress,” the TSA report said.
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), whose district includes the Los Angeles airport, wrote in an April 2010 letter to the TSA that she was “deeply concerned” about the incident.
Gale Rossides, the TSA’s then-acting administrator, replied in May 2010 to convey the agency’s “sincere apologies” and said the officer involved “has been counseled on the expectation of our agency for professionalism and customer service.”
According to WSB, Hall now wants the officer involved fired.
In a statement to the Daily Mail on Wednesday, the TSA said, “We regret that the incident of more than two years ago was one that caused embarrassment to the young lady, however, an investigation concluded that the event was accidental.”
U.S. passengers have filed 17,000 complaints about enhanced TSA pat-downs since 2009, WSB reported.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 580 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 518 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 494 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 385 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US