Honest Broker? Muslim Brotherhood Chief Calls for Jihad on Israel Just One Day after Egypt’s President Mediated Ceasefire
The ink on the Egyptian-brokered ceasefire agreement ending the Israel-Hamas fighting was barely dry Thursday, when the head of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Mohammed Badi launched a verbal tirade on Israel, calling for holy jihad and denouncing peacemaking efforts.
The Associated Press reports from Cairo:
The top leader of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood denounced peace efforts with Israel and urged holy war to liberate Palestinian territories on Thursday — one day after the country’s president, who hails from the movement, mediated a cease-fire between Israelis and Palestinians to end eight days of fierce fighting.
“The enemy knows nothing but the language of force,” said Mohammed Badei. “Be aware of the game of grand deception with which they depict peace accords,” he said in a statement carried on the group’s website and emailed to reporters.
Keep in mind: This is just one day after President Barack Obama praised Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi for his role in mediating the agreement.
President Morsi, who also hails from the Muslim Brotherhood movement, on Wednesday was thanked by President Obama for “for his efforts to achieve a sustainable ceasefire and for his personal leadership in negotiating a ceasefire proposal.”
A White House statement further noted that during his phone call with the Egyptian president, “President Obama reaffirmed the close partnership between the United States and Egypt, and welcomed President Morsi’s commitment to regional security.”
At her Wednesday press conference with the Egyptian foreign minister announcing the ceasefire, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also celebrated the Egyptian role:
I want to thank President Morsi for his personal leadership to de-escalate the situation in Gaza and end the violence […] Egypt’s new government is assuming the responsibility and leadership that has long made this country a cornerstone of regional stability and peace.
Badi declared that “jihad is obligatory” for Muslims, though taking up arms would be the “last stage,” according to the AP’s translation.
He said: “The use of force and arms while the group is fragmented and disconnected, unorganized, weak in conviction, with faint faith — this will be destined for death.”
He called on Muslims to “back your brothers in Palestine. Supply them with what they need, seek victory for them in all international arenas.”
AP notes that Badi’s title is “General Guide of the Muslim Brotherhood,” which “implies a leadership role in the Islamist group’s sister movements across the world.” One of those groups is Hamas which, along with other terror groups in Gaza, rained 1,506 rockets and missiles on Israel this past week, according to Israel Defense Forces figures.
The Muslim Brotherhood still does not officially recognize Israel, senior Egyptian government representatives have yet to meet with Israeli officials, and it is unclear whether President Morsi will continue to abide by his country’s commitments to the 1979 Camp David peace treaty with Israel.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 962 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 415 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 370 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 276 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 105 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 165 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Watch Live: Senate Hearing on IRS Targeting of Conservative Groups Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Ft. Hood shooter is still collecting a paycheck
- At last: 'Arrested' is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- Arias speaks on own behalf as jury considers death
- Jodi Arias addresses jury in penalty phase of trial as panel considers life or death sentence
- 2 Moroccans tried for homosexuality get 4 months
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Court strikes down Arizona 20-week abortion ban
- Senate debating federal dollars for crop insurance
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival