Obama Assassination Comments Made by a Florida Police Detective Leads to Resignation
Sam Koivisto says the threat was “political hyperbole,” but after 24 years, the Jacksonville police detective is resigning amidst an interval investigation into comments he made after the election regarding an assassination of President Barack Obama. The Associated Press reports the 57-year-old told colleagues that if an order came in to kill Obama, he “wouldn’t mind being the guy.”
Koivisto was being investigated by the US. Secret Service before his resignation, and told The Florida Times-Union that the issue was “blown out of proportion” and he was planning to retire in five months anyway.
“I have not done anything criminal,” he said during questioning. ”It’s political hyperbole.”
“The statement that we got was that we got is that you made a threat to kill the President,” AP reports the investigator then asked Koivisto.
Koivisto responded, “No, the only statement ever made about the President was I said, you know, just like when they killed Osama Bin Laden, I said ‘If someone says, “hey, he is the enemy of the State” or whatever and they had to take them out, then I could be the guy to do it.’ That’s not me saying I would kill the guy or anything of that nature. That’s just to say if the guy went away, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings.”
The resignation ended the investigation. Sheriff John Rutherford told AP that he believes Koivisto’s comments were unacceptable workplace conduct, but not legitimate threats.
The Times-Union reports that the detective had been in the city’s pension program and would have been eligible to collect benefits in the spring. Officials say he will still be able to do so after using vacation time to bridge the gap.
News4Jax reports that even though Koivisto was investigated by the Secret Service and U.S. Attorneys’ Office, he will not face criminal charges. The Chairman of the local Duval County Democratic Party told the Times-Union that he was not troubled by the incident and would chalk it up to a case of post-election sour grapes.
Watch a report from WTSP featuring audio of Koivisto’s interview with the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 524 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 486 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 466 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 325 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 115 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 124 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Delta ups the ante in battle for NY travel market
- Man charged with stalking Jennifer Lawrence's kin
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M
- Snooki: NJ Gov Christie 'just doesn't like us'