Turkey Gangs Terrorize Boston Suburb
Just outside Boston lies Brookline, a prestigious suburb that is the hometown of Conan O’Brien, and where John F. Kennedy was born and spent the first 10 years of his life. It may end up being remembered as where the Turkey resistance began.
Multiple outlets are reporting that gangs of aggressive Turkeys have been seen roaming the neighborhood in recent days.
“I’ve had them come after me,” Brookline resident Jocelyn Guggenheim told ABCnews.com. “I cross the street to avoid them and I’ve never done that around a wild animal, even though I grew up in the woods.”
The bird, which can grow up to 20 pounds and 4 feet tall, is not uncommon to appear in the neighborhood; but their behavior of late has surprised some. CBS Boston reports that complaints to Brookline Police about wild turkeys have doubled in the past two months, with many people saying they’ve been chased by turkeys on their way to work.
Frustrated resident Karen Halvorson, who tells CBS she has been attacked at her car and front door by scratching turkeys, is working with town leaders to organize a meeting about the problem.
ABC News reports that successful reintroduction efforts have grown the state’s fall turkey population to around 20,000 birds. A simple YouTube search of Brookline Turkeys brings up multiple videos of the bird in rabid packs roaming the suburb. This WEBN report posted from Youtube user cmc1818 in 2007 describes the turkey problem and police response:
With the growing number of unfriendly encounters, experts tell ABC that the best way to avoid a confrontation with a wild turkey is to steer clear of it if possible, to not be intimidated, and spray water at the bird if available. WBZ reports on the turkey issue in Brookline this holiday season:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 307 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 147 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 252 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 111 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 111 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Sweden's riots raise questions about inequality
- Military calls UK attack victim a model soldier
- Wyden: FracFocus 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Obama: Policy in leaks investigations under review
- Israel to discuss military draft reform proposal
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission