‘Pushup Gate’: Outrage After Cops Make Teen Vandals Do On-the-Spot Push-Ups as Punishment
A controversy is brewing in Rhode Island after four police officers seemingly made a group of young men do push-ups as immediate punishment for vandalizing mailboxes.
It began when a woman called 911 Friday to report that her mailbox had been damaged, and officers caught a car full of teenagers in the act (the details are a little hazy here, but the teens may have been vandalizing other mailboxes nearby when caught).
Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM that the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to make them do push-ups, and a neighbor videotaped it from his window.
Here is the video, first reported by WJAR-TV:
The task was hardly grueling– the neighbor estimates the young men had to do between 10-12 push-ups– but Mayor Charles Lombardi is calling the situation unacceptable.
“It’s not going to fall by the wayside,” he assured, calling the video “a little nauseating” to WPRO-AM.
“I don’t know if it is against policy, but it is against professionalism. Bring them in, call their parents and explain to them what was going on and what they were doing,” he added.
By Monday morning, the event being described as “Pushup Gate” in local news, and the mayor commented: “You can’t fix stupid. I think that’s the only explanation here.”
Ironically, one of the boys’ mothers has come out in support of the police.
“The cop did wrong, but I’m glad he tried to teach my son a lesson,” Corinne Marchione told WPRI Monday. “Personally, I don’t think he should be suspended.”
Marchione’s son was reportedly the one driving the car that got pulled over.
What do you think? Should the police be punished for taking the law into their own hands, or is everyone overreacting?
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 565 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 488 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 346 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 252 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 240 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 142 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Principal recounts tornado hitting Oklahoma school
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee