‘Pushup Gate’: Outrage After Cops Make Teen Vandals Do On-the-Spot Push-Ups as Punishment
A controversy is brewing in Rhode Island after four police officers seemingly made a group of young men do push-ups as immediate punishment for vandalizing mailboxes.
It began when a woman called 911 Friday to report that her mailbox had been damaged, and officers caught a car full of teenagers in the act (the details are a little hazy here, but the teens may have been vandalizing other mailboxes nearby when caught).
Mayor Charles Lombardi told WPRO-AM that the officers thought the best way to reprimand the teens was to make them do push-ups, and a neighbor videotaped it from his window.
Here is the video, first reported by WJAR-TV:
The task was hardly grueling– the neighbor estimates the young men had to do between 10-12 push-ups– but Mayor Charles Lombardi is calling the situation unacceptable.
“It’s not going to fall by the wayside,” he assured, calling the video “a little nauseating” to WPRO-AM.
“I don’t know if it is against policy, but it is against professionalism. Bring them in, call their parents and explain to them what was going on and what they were doing,” he added.
By Monday morning, the event being described as “Pushup Gate” in local news, and the mayor commented: “You can’t fix stupid. I think that’s the only explanation here.”
Ironically, one of the boys’ mothers has come out in support of the police.
“The cop did wrong, but I’m glad he tried to teach my son a lesson,” Corinne Marchione told WPRI Monday. “Personally, I don’t think he should be suspended.”
Marchione’s son was reportedly the one driving the car that got pulled over.
What do you think? Should the police be punished for taking the law into their own hands, or is everyone overreacting?
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 605 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 526 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 417 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 359 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 156 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Female suicide bomber injures 18 in Russian region
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Vintage Apple computer auctioned off for $668,000
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- East title series shifts to Indy, knotted at 1-1
- Israeli expert says Syria cyberattack foiled
- Israeli official says Syria cyberattack foiled
- Kim joins 2 for LPGA lead in rainy Bahamas