What New Nickname Has the Public Given Egyptian President Morsi? (Hint: Sounds Like a Fascist Dictator)
Egyptian democracy advocate Mohammed ElBaradei has already called President Mohammed Morsi the “new Pharaoh” and now Egyptian Twitter users are comparing his power grab to another famous dictator, granting him the nickname “Morsilini.” It’s even become a popular hashtag.
The President, who sprang from Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, last week granted himself sweeping powers including shielding himself from judicial review in order to “protect the revolution.” Egypt’s judiciary is calling his decrees an “unprecedented assault.”
Al Arabiya translated some of the tweets and reports:
…the microblogging site was flooded with the term, drawing hardhearted ties between fascist dictator Benito Mussolini and Egypt’s Islamist president.
“Mursi now has a critical hashtag called #Morsillini. A portmanteau of Mursi and Mussolini,” posted Twitter user @Bassem_Sabry.
And the label quickly prompted a few quips.
“Morsillini: ‘I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet,’” posted @ahmadfahmy.
“Morsillini: ” I have the right to issue orders, laws and they can’t be revoked. I have the right to jail you, execute you & marry your wife, ” the same user tweeted.
And the news attracted a sarcastic putdown from Egyptian activist Lubna Darwish, who tweeted: “His excellency president #Morsillini, leader of government, parliament and constitution, head of fascism, and founder of the renaissance.
Italian dictator Benito Mussolini ruled Italy from 1922 to 1943 and is credited with founding Fascism. Among his acts were the dismantling of democratic institutions and crushing his political opponents through use of the secret police. He allied his country with Nazi Germany and Japan during World War II.
On Sunday, clashes continued in Egypt for a third day since Morsi issued his decrees. One teenager was killed and at least 40 injured.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 586 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 388 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 269 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 151 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'