Always Wanted a Lightsaber? This Metal Vapor Torch Could Be the Next Best Thing
If a Star Wars lightsaber has always been on your holiday wish list and the plastic flip-out replica of the laser sword doesn’t quite cut it, check out this Metal Vapor Torch.
The flashlight-size tactical tool by Energetic Materials & Products, Inc., reaches temperatures of up to 5000 degrees F with a flame speed of more than one mile per second, according to Popular Mechanics. The MVT can cut through metal pipes, locks and chains.
Here’s more about how it works:
At the heart of the MVT is a reaction between copper oxide and precisely graded particles of magnesium and aluminum; consistent particle size is crucial to ensure that the torch burns at the desired temperature. [...] A rectangular carbon fiber nozzle shapes the jet into a flat blade for cutting. The jet has higher energy density than a gas flame; the cutting action is produced by a combination of heat and abrasion by particles of metal oxide.
Watch the demo video:
Although intended for use by law enforcement and others who might need to slice through such metal objects quickly, the EMPI website states that no specialized equipment or training is necessary, so technically anyone could use it (with the proper safety precautions). The company also states it can be used as an underwater diver’s tool.
Not everyone will get their hands on the device though. According to Popular Mechanics, since it could be used in criminal activity, the torch will be sold to only approved customers.
The cost of the torch is $135 with disposable cartridges costing about $35 each.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 520 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 464 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 447 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 258 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Solar plane completes 2nd leg of trip in Texas
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- 5 dead in Lebanon clash of Assad foes, backers
- Japan gyrations underline economy's vulnerability
- US equities sell-off goes on; futures slump
- Q&A: What is known about London attack
- Brave woman tried to reason with London attackers
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival