Cops Bust Alleged Drug Traffickers With 105 Pounds of Cocaine in Times Square
Six alleged drug traffickers have been indicted roughly a month after police nabbed them with approximately 105 pounds of cocaine in the heart of New York City’s Times Square.
The drugs would have been worth about $5 million on the street, the New York Post relates, and if the authorities hadn’t been closely monitoring the situation the gang could have easily passed for tourists in the always-crowded area. Many of the details of the case are just now emerging, as the case goes to court.
The bust sounds like something from a movie. One man, [Fernando Alvarado], was arrested after placing a suitcase containing 30 lbs of cocaine in the trunk of a silver BMW and attempting to drive off. Another man, Luis Cuevas-Muniz, loaded 8 lbs of blow in a livery cab, then went back inside to get a second bag, containing an additional 66 lbs. At this point, the state police grabbed two nearby NYPD officers, who assisted in arresting Cuevas-Muniz in the hotel’s lobby. The driver of the livery cab was stopped and arrested a few blocks away.
Two others were arrested inside a hotel room. A third suspect fled into the awful Times Square crowds and was “lost in the holiday decorations-gazing crowds,” a fate which, as Daily Intel points out, probably isn’t much better than being arrested.
The indictment was announced Monday by city Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget G. Brennan and State Police Superintendent Joseph A. D’Amico.
Authorities said plane tickets and other evidence revealed that members of the group had traveled from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to White Plains, N.Y., with a stop in Orlando, Fla.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 576 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 376 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 290 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 257 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review