Rudy Giuliani Schools MSNBC on Disaster Response: ‘This Is Unacceptable’
Rudy Giuliani appeared on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” today to discuss President Obama’s response to Hurricane Sandy.
While many have praised the president, citing the pictures of him hugging the victims and touring the damage with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Giuliani argued that the situation will actually hurt him in the end.
The former New York City mayor explained:
…people see on television that the effort is not what it was cracked up to be. It was the first two days, [but] since then it’s been a disaster. FEMA hasn’t prepositioned the water correctly– no water for people in New York– they haven’t prepositioned the generators– no generators for people in New York.
I know about emergency response, this stuff should be out there by now! FEMA is asleep at the switch… [Emphasis added]
Conceding that, if there is an expert on emergency response, the mayor who tackled 9/11 would be it, hosts Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough asked how the response could be so bad in New York City.
“Two of the major hospitals in New York [lost power]– we’re supposed to be the center of the world!” Scarborough remarked.
Mika added: “How could they be down?”
After Giuliani explained that he solved the problem by contacting General Electric that morning and having necessities like water flown in, the former mayor added: “What do we have FEMA for other than being able to call upon resources all across the country…?”
When Giuliani asserted that “this is as bad a backup effort as we had for Katrina,” Mika condescendingly replied: “No…you want to walk that back.”
“No, I do not want to walk it back, not in a million years,” Giuliani retorted. “No water for New York, for five days?” Because it was a much smaller storm, he added, it should have been much easier to handle correctly.
Giuliani said yesterday that people should be crying out, “What are you, a bunch of idiots?” that FEMA didn’t have the foresight to bring in the basics like water and gasoline ahead of time.
“This is unacceptable,” he concluded.
Watch the entire video, via MSNBC, below:
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 434 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 404 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 321 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 318 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 124 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 118 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 229 Comments
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 237 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Broke no laws, IRS official says _ then takes 5th
- Okla. tornado damage: Thousands of homes, $1.5-$2B
- Zach Johnson always feels good at Colonial
- Tesla uses stock, note sale to repay government
- Arias jury deadlocked but must keep deliberating
- In Arias trial, TV cameras never far behind
- Inaugural tournament cut to 54 holes