Sandy Victim Promised ‘Immediate Help’ by Obama Speaks Out on Fox News: ‘I’ve Gotten Nothing’
On Sunday, TheBlaze reported on Sandy victim Donna Vanzant’s progress in the wake of the storm that left her business with roughly $500,000 in losses.
Vanzant’s case is special, in particular, because in many ways she became the public face of President Obama’s sympathy after the storm. The photo of the two hugging has been prominently featured on the White House website since October 31.
The president personally told Vanzant that she would get help “immediately,” issuing a public statement to the federal government that they were to cut any and all “red tape.”
Still on her own roughly a month later, Vanzant said last week that she’s come to believe President Obama “wasted a lot of people’s time” during his tour.
On Monday Vanzant appeared on Fox News, where she went a step further.
“It’s frustrating for me that that picture is even out there right now,” she said.
When asked how she felt when Obama first arrived, she said:
“I was very excited and felt warmed by the embrace, thinking, ‘This is really gonna happen, I’m going to get the help I need, because you promised that,’ [but] it’s been almost a month now and I’ve gotten no help. [I've] gotten nothing but, ‘No you’re not covered for this, no you’re not covered for that.’”
Vanzant explained that she’s been in the marina business since 1996 and has flood insurance, but because of the way the storm hit– the damage caused more by rising sea levels than torrential rain– her insurance apparently won’t cover it.
She has been offered a loan at 4-6%, she added, but at this point would not be able to make the monthly payment.
“It’s kind of confusing to me, I didn’t expect that. I expected when I was introduced to the director of FEMA, and the president told him to get me immediate help, I thought I was getting help from FEMA itself, not that I would have to go get a loan,” she explained. ”It’s just greatly affected so many people…My family, my employees…”
Watch the complete interview, via Fox News, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 453 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 401 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 361 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Group of Thugs Target Seemingly Defenseless Woman — They Had No Idea She Had Been Frequenting the Gun Range 263 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 169 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- ‘My Life Is Full of Blessings’: Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Who Lost All Limbs Smiles as She Shows Off New Bionic Hands Read More
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 134 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Israel's Peres calls for return to peace talks
- Trailblazing Israeli electric car company to fold
- Car bomb, other attacks kill 5 in Iraqi city
- Obama touring Oklahoma tornado response
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- NTSB says Wash. bridge collapse is wake-up call
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold