You Won’t Believe What Glenn Beck Did to an Obama Bobblehead During His Show on Tuesday
Editor’s note: We discussed this story and all the day’s news on our live BlazeCast, featured below:
UPDATE: Ebay, the online marketplace where Glenn Beck put his Obama creation up for auction for charity, has now pulled the ad. At it’s last bidding around 11:00 a.m. ET, the bid for the Obama doll in the jar was up to $11,300. All of the proceeds were to do to the Mercury One charity. Click the link above for the story.
On Monday, TheBlaze alerted readers to a new painting that depicts Barack Obama as Jesus Christ crucified, adorned with a crown of thorns. The work, entitled “Truth,” is part of a larger exhibit at the Bunker Hill Community College Art Gallery in Boston titled “Artists on the Stump – the Road to the White House 2012.” This, of course, is not the first controversial rendition that has been labeled “artwork,” nor is it the first time President Obama has been likened to Christ, or in general, God.
Now, the creator of “Truth,” Michael D’Antuono, said that his “First Amendment rights should override someone’s hurt feelings” and that “we should celebrate the fact that we live in a country where we are given the freedom to express ourselves.”
After receiving roughly 4,000 angry emails over the painting, D’Antuono also said he respects “their right to express themselves” and hopes they will afford him the same.
With this in mind, Glenn Beck chose to exercise his First Amendment rights and “express himself,” during his Tuesday evening broadcast by featuring a piece of artwork of his own.
Watch the clip, sure to make a splash, via TheBlaze TV below:
At some point, Beck decided that submerging an Obama “bobblehead” doll in “urine” (at first the liquid was thought to be beer, but it was later revealed to be water with food coloring) was necessary to convey his message. He of course realizes this will be controversial and that many will find his use of the Obama figurine to be disrespectful. The idea, for Beck however, is not to be untoward, but through irony, to highlight the hypocrisy of those who would shout in defiance at defacing the image of a sitting U.S. president, but not that of an image so sacred to Christianity — the world’s largest religion. In other words, Beck sought to reveal how he truly adheres to the U.S. Constitution where the Left often does not.
Beck supported D’Antuono’s Constitutional right to create and display his art even if it is considered highly disrespectful to Christianity. The main point Beck hoped to convey through his controversial display with the Obama bobblehead, was to highlight that through the U.S. Constitution, an artist does have the freedom to display whatever his or her heart desires, however offensive that “art” may be to others.
Of course, Beck’s “art” is also similar to the infamous anti-Christian photograph titled “Piss Christ,” showing a small plastic crucifix soaked in the artist’s real urine.
Here’s a visual representation of how it all went down:
Beck’s “artwork” also highlights the hypocrisy of those who rail against disparaging Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. If his image were defaced in the same way as Christ’s has been so many times, the backlash could indeed be deadly and lead to the “artist” in question being pursued by U.S. law enforcement, as was the case for the creators of the YouTube video “Innocence of Muslims (to clarify, the creator of the YouTube video was assailed by law enforcement for criminal activity unrelated to his video, but the backlash and public scrutiny created by his video catalyzed authorities to pursue him).
Beck did reach out to D’Antuono, inviting him on the program to discuss the First Amendment.
“Truth” is set to remain on display until Dec. 15. Beck, meanwhile, is considering putting his latest artwork up for auction (the price tag says $25,000).
This post has been updated to reflect that the content of Beck’s mason jar was in fact water with food coloring, not beer.
This story has been updated.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 408 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 337 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 106 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 206 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 104 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Francona manages at Fenway for 1st time since 2011
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach