CNN’s Piers Morgan Confronts Rick Warren Over Whether People Are Born Gay or ‘Become Gay’: ‘I Think the Jury’s Still Out on That’
Evangelical mega-pastor Rick Warren appeared on CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight” on Tuesday, where a familiar issue was discussed — homosexuality. The television host wasted no time in asking the Christian preacher whether he believes people are born gay or whether they “become gay.”
“You know what, I think the jury’s still out on that. It wouldn’t — it wouldn’t bother me if there was, quote, ‘a gay gene’ found, because here’s what we know about life,” Warren responded. “I have all kinds of natural feelings in my life and it doesn’t necessarily mean that I should act on every feeling. Sometimes I get angry and I feel like punching a guy in the nose. It doesn’t mean I act on it.”
The pastor wasn’t done there, though. He continued, providing another, more applicable example surrounding why one might choose not to act out on same-sex attraction.
“Sometimes I — as you pointed out, sometimes I feel attracted to women who are not my wife. I don’t act on it,” he proclaimed. “Just because I have a feeling doesn’t make it right. Not everything natural is good for me.”
When Warren said that Arsenic is natural, adding to his previous point that not all elements encountered in life are beneficial to human beings, Morgan interrupted. The host made it clear that, unlike Warren, he isn’t open to the possibility that people simply become gay.
“I just believe fundamentally and passionately that gay people are born gay. I don’t think you become gay,” the host said. “And I think if you were able to convince yourself that they were born gay, you would see it differently.”
Morgan told the pastor that he might change his view about gay marriage if he could bring himself to accept the notion that people are born homosexual and that they do not develop same-sex attraction post birth. Following the host’s comments about the legality and rights associated with gay marriage, Warren clarified his stance on sin.
“I do not believe attraction is a sin, but I do believe that some actions are sin. I’m not responsible for all of my attractions,” he explained. We know, for instance, that some people are born with natural predispositions toward certain things, either good or bad. Every one of us have those.”
Warren also told Morgan that he appreciates the conversation, as the debate surrounding gay marriage is essential. He said that such controversial issues should be undertaken and discussed, while treating all parties involved with “dignity” and “love.”
Watch the exchange, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 538 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 492 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 296 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 133 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 187 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 134 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'