MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: ‘Atheist Ricky Gervais Is Actually More Christ-like Than…Pat Robertson’
It’s hard to imagine that an atheist would be described as more “Christ-like” than a believer in the almighty. However, on an episode of this week’s “The Last Word,” host Lawrence O’Donnell made a bold, faith-based proclamation and then attempted to corroborate it.
In describing CBN’s Pat Robertson and his recent words about atheists and their apparent penchant for stealing Christmas, the host juxtaposed these sentiments against secularist actor Ricky Gervais’ more favorable comments about the holiday. O’Donnell concluded: “The happy atheist Ricky Gervais is actually more Christ-like than the Reverend Pat Robertson.”
During a recent “700 Club” broadcast, Robertson had harsh words for atheist activists.
“Atheists don’t like our happiness. They don’t want you to be happy,” he proclaimed. “They want you to be miserable. They’re miserable so they want you to be miserable. So they want to steal your holiday away from you.”
O’Donnell noted that Gervais, an outspoken atheist, has used more favorable and inclusive language in the past while addressing the Christian holiday. In an article the actor wrote for the Wall Street Journal in 2010, MSNBC notes that he wrote the following regarding how he, as a non-believer, commemorates the holiday:
Celebrating life and remembering those that did, but can no longer… They are not looking down on me but they live in my mind and heart more than they ever did probably. Some, I was lucky enough to bump into on this planet of six billion people. Others shared much of my genetic material. One selflessly did her best for me all my life. That’s what mums do though. They do it for no other reason than love.
Concluding this article with the words, “Peace to all mankind. Christian, Jew, Muslim and Atheist,” O’Donnell contended that the actor is more Christ-like than Robertson, who recently issued his harsh rebuke of atheists.
Watch the MSNBC host sound off, below:
While it is true that Gervais’ tone was more positive, it’s important to remember that he also has poked fun at faith in the past. Aside from cracking jokes, the actor posed as Jesus for a 2011 magazine cover.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 593 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 288 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kuchar leads Colonial without finishing 2nd round
- Penguins oust Sens in five, reach Eastern finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 away from Heat in Miami, 97-93
- Obama's drone rules leave unanswered questions
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair