MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: ‘Atheist Ricky Gervais Is Actually More Christ-like Than…Pat Robertson’
It’s hard to imagine that an atheist would be described as more “Christ-like” than a believer in the almighty. However, on an episode of this week’s “The Last Word,” host Lawrence O’Donnell made a bold, faith-based proclamation and then attempted to corroborate it.
In describing CBN’s Pat Robertson and his recent words about atheists and their apparent penchant for stealing Christmas, the host juxtaposed these sentiments against secularist actor Ricky Gervais’ more favorable comments about the holiday. O’Donnell concluded: “The happy atheist Ricky Gervais is actually more Christ-like than the Reverend Pat Robertson.”
During a recent “700 Club” broadcast, Robertson had harsh words for atheist activists.
“Atheists don’t like our happiness. They don’t want you to be happy,” he proclaimed. “They want you to be miserable. They’re miserable so they want you to be miserable. So they want to steal your holiday away from you.”
O’Donnell noted that Gervais, an outspoken atheist, has used more favorable and inclusive language in the past while addressing the Christian holiday. In an article the actor wrote for the Wall Street Journal in 2010, MSNBC notes that he wrote the following regarding how he, as a non-believer, commemorates the holiday:
Celebrating life and remembering those that did, but can no longer… They are not looking down on me but they live in my mind and heart more than they ever did probably. Some, I was lucky enough to bump into on this planet of six billion people. Others shared much of my genetic material. One selflessly did her best for me all my life. That’s what mums do though. They do it for no other reason than love.
Concluding this article with the words, “Peace to all mankind. Christian, Jew, Muslim and Atheist,” O’Donnell contended that the actor is more Christ-like than Robertson, who recently issued his harsh rebuke of atheists.
Watch the MSNBC host sound off, below:
While it is true that Gervais’ tone was more positive, it’s important to remember that he also has poked fun at faith in the past. Aside from cracking jokes, the actor posed as Jesus for a 2011 magazine cover.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 438 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 418 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 379 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 146 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 121 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 237 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 247 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94
- Broke no laws, IRS official says _ then takes 5th
- Zach Johnson always feels good at Colonial
- House passes GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- HP's 2Q offers hope even as revenue slump deepens
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Mexico cartel dominates, torches western state
- Union power at issue as Garcetti elected LA mayor