Ohio Man Who Mocked Young Girl’s Cerebral Palsy Sentenced to 1 Month in Jail
A northeast Ohio man accused of making fun of a young girl with cerebral palsy has been sentenced to nearly a month in jail.
Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos gave William M. Bailey, 43, the maximum sentence Tuesday after Bailey pleaded no contest to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing, the Canton Repository reported. He will report to jail in January to begin a 29-day jail sentence and will pay more than $400 in court costs and fines.
Bailey and his 9-year-old son were caught on video apparently mimicking their 10-year-old neighbor Hope Holcomb’s limp. The footage went viral last month, though Bailey insisted he was not mocking Holcomb and was reacting only to name-calling directed at his son, the newspaper reported.
A statement distributed by Bailey’s attorney after the court hearing said: “To Hope and her family, please accept my apology for my inappropriate behavior. I know that my actions were immature and lacked the respect you deserve. I didn’t realize the impact this incident would have upon both of our families and I truly regret it.”
Bailey also wrote a direct apology to Holcomb. Her mother, Tricia Knight, told the Repository: “I know he doesn’t mean it. I know it’s crap.”
Knight said her daughter has been deeply upset by the incident.
“She wants the blinds closed. She doesn’t want to be outside,” Knight said.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 975 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 424 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 371 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 284 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 255 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 126 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 171 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Report: More Benghazi whistleblowers to come forward?
- Protesters chant 'Stop the IRS' in Cincinnati
- More attacks across Iraq kill 13 people
- Police release photos from Tucson shooting rampage
- Power of Moore tornado dwarfs Hiroshima bomb
- Warsaw ghetto insurgent Boruch Spiegel dies at 93
- Face-chewing victim recovering, strumming guitar
- Syria opposition signals tough line on peace talks
- Algerian president leaves Paris military hospital