Pastor Rick Warren Laments Deification of Obama: ‘Blasphemy’ & ‘Sent Shivers Up My Spine’
Rick Warren, the well-known author and pastor of the Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California, has some major concerns surrounding what he views as a deification of President Barack Obama. Specifically commenting on actor Jamie Foxx calling Obama “our Lord and savior,” Warren said that these acts of building the president up to be a God-like figure constitute “blasphemy.”
“That sent shivers up my spine,” Warren said of Foxx’s comment. “There’s a word for that – it’s called blasphemy. It’s wrong.”
While some may dismiss the Foxx clip as an anomaly — or a joke, even — numerous examples of the deification of Obama have unfolded of late. A controversial painting by artist Michael D’Antuono depicts the president being crucified. And, near the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in Charlotte, North Carolina, earlier this year, there were pieces of artwork being sold that also seemingly likened Obama to Christ. These are only two examples.
The deification of any idol, according to the faith leader, is inappropriate. Warren explained that such actions are explicitly forbidden by the first two commandments (i.e. Ten Commandments).
“Think about all the promises that were made four years ago. None of them were fulfilled,” said the preacher, who typically avoids partisan statements.
Among those pledges, Warren pinpointed Obama’s 2008 promise to bring the nation together, while simultaneously bringing about “hope” and “change.”
“It’s more divided now than it’s ever been. That’s disappointing,” he continued. “Any human leader — conservative or liberal — is going to disappoint you at some point.”
Warren went on to encourage individuals to put their faith in “things that never change.” Rather than relying upon politicians like Obama, he clearly meant that human beings should place their reliance upon a higher power.
(H/T: Fox News’ Todd Starnes)
- Ebay Yanks Beck’s ‘Obama in Pee Pee’ Art Project Meant to Raise Money for Charity
- You Won’t Believe What Glenn Beck Did to an Obama Bobblehead During His Show on Tuesday
- Actor Jamie Foxx at Soul Train Music Awards: ‘Give an Honor to…Our Lord & Savior Barack Obama’
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 489 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 306 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 138 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 242 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 109 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 111 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- Coen, Guirgis bound for Atlantic Theater Company
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Obama endorses more oversight of drone strikes
- CORRECTS: Obama: No drone strikes without 'near certainty' of no civilian casualties.
- Study: Amphibians disappearing at alarming rate
- Obama announces he's lifting 2009 ban on transfers of Guantanamo detainees to Yemen
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter
- Obama:No drone strikes on suspected terrorists without 'near certainty' of civilian casualties