Who’s Visiting Obama?
Two weeks after his first post election meeting with CEOs, President Barack Obama is bringing another group of chief executives to the executive mansion, and this time it will include one of the highest ranking CEOs on Wall Street: Lloyd Blankfein of Goldman Sachs.
The all star group of executives also includes the newly installed CEO of Yahoo!, Marissa Mayer — one of the most closely watched executives in technology.
Many of executives are expected to spend their morning buttonholing members of Congress on Capitol Hill to lay out the dangers of a failure to come to agreement on the “fiscal cliff” deadline looming at the end of the year. They’ll meet with Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) before departing for the late afternoon session on the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue.
The group meeting with the president tomorrow includes representatives of a wide range of industries, from retail to finance, technology, pharmaceuticals, media and telecommunications. It also includes the top people from some of the world’s most recognizable brands, including Coca-Cola, AT&T, and Marriott.
The meeting comes as financial markets have become increasingly driven by even small pieces of news out of the tax and spending debate in Washington. On Tuesday, remarks by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) sent the Dow and the S&P tumbling. Reid said he had seen “little progress” from Republicans on specific concessions they plan to offer to Democrats.
Meanwhile, Mitch McConnell, the Senate Republican leader from Kentucky, complained to reporters that the Democrats prefer to engage in campaign style tactics rather than real negotiations.
In fact, President Obama will travel to Pennsylvania later in the week for a campaign style rally designed to boost popular support for the type of “fiscal cliff” deal he prefers.
Wednesday will be a busy day at the White House. In the morning, the president will meet with a group of middle class Americans who will see their taxes go up if the country goes over the “fiscal cliff.”
Here’s the complete list of CEOs attending the White house meeting Wednesday:
- Frank Blake, Chairman and CEO, The Home Depot
- Lloyd Blankfein, Chairman and CEO, Goldman Sachs Group
- Joe Echeverria, CEO, Deloitte LLP
- Ken Frazier, President and CEO, Merck and Co.
- Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO, Coca Cola
- Marissa Mayer, CEO and President, Yahoo!
- Douglas Oberhelman, Chairman and CEO, Caterpillar
- Brian Roberts, Chairman and CEO, Comcast
- Ed Rust, Chairman and CEO, State Farm Insurance Co.
- Arne Sorenson, President and CEO, Marriott
- Randall Stephenson, Chairman and CEO, AT&T
- Patricia Woertz, President and CEO, Archer Daniels Midland
- Goldman CEO Headed to White House
- Why the ‘Fiscal Cliff’ is Kryptonite to Entrepreneurs
- Congress ‘Cliff’ Talk a Hazard for Stocks
- Buffett Expects ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Fix, But Not by December 31
©2012 CNBC.com, Eamon Javers.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 466 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 325 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 325 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 150 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- UK, Denmark eye visas for Afghan interpreters
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Conn. rail service returns to normal
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomb kills anti-Taliban elder
- US test-launches intercontinental missile
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision