NYPD Cop Who Gave a Homeless Man Boots Reveals New Details: All Started After People Were ‘Making Fun’ of the Man
The New York City police officer who stopped to give a homeless man a pair of heavy socks and boots on a frigid November night said he first noticed the man after someone was mocking him on the street.
“Somebody was actually making fun of him, they said, ‘You’ve got no shoes,’ and that’s when I looked down at his feet and he didn’t even have a pair of socks on,” Officer Lawrence DePrimo told Fox News’ “Fox & Friends” on Friday.
DePrimo said he first approached the man and offered to buy him a pair of socks, but the man said, “No officer, but God bless you, thank you for asking.”
“Here it is, it’s freezing cold out and he has the heart to say God bless me,” DePrimo said.
That’s when he walked into a nearby shoe store and told the employee to sell him whatever their best boot was. The worker was apparently so moved that he offered him the employee discount.
DePrimo said he ducked out of the store to first ask the man for his shoe size before making the purchase.
“I surprised him, I said listen, I have this pair of boots, they’re in your size,” he said. “When I was sitting down helping him put on the boots he just said, ‘Thank you officer,’ he said, ‘God bless you and you know, stay safe and thank you for doing what you’re doing, you’ve done enough already.’”
DePrimo didn’t know it, but a visiting tourist snapped a photo of kind act, an image that has since gone viral, earning more than 500,000 “likes” on Facebook.
Jennifer Foster, herself a dispatch manager at the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office in Arizona, said on Facebook that she’s worked in law enforcement for 17 years and has never been so impressed.
“He did not see us, he did not see me and he had boots in his hand and I heard him quite clearly say, ‘I have these size-12 all-weather boots for you, let’s take care of you’ and the gentleman sat down against the wall and I’m telling you, his face lit up,” Foster told a local news station.
DePrimo said New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly gave him a set of his personal cufflinks for his deed.
“As a police officer and just as another human being, you know, you want to help this gentleman and I think that’s something a lot of people don’t realize, you know things like this happen every day,” DePrimo said.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,031 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 139 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues