German Chancellor: Yeah, We’re Getting Pretty Fed up With Greece
BERLIN (TheBlaze/AP) — Chancellor Angela Merkel said she understands the frustration felt by many Germans over the repeated bailout programs for debt-ridden Greece, but insisted they are in her country’s self-interest because they help stabilize the eurozone as a whole.
Merkel’s comments came a day after Germany’s parliament voted in favor of granting Greece more lenient terms on its bailout program, clearing a necessary hurdle for disbursing a €44 billion ($57 billion) rescue loan payment in December.
“I obviously feel many citizens’ skepticism, and partly understand it, because Greece has often disappointed its partners in the past,” Merkel told Sunday tabloid Bild am Sonntag in an interview released Saturday. “A lot of what the Greek leadership has promised wasn’t lived up to.”
The new Greek government, however, “finally” shows the necessary resolve “to change the country, to create modern structures,” she said.
A German poll published Friday showed that 46 percent of 1,300 people polled favored letting Greece go bankrupt, only 43 percent thought Greece should receive further rescue loans. A total of 69 percent of those surveyed for public broadcaster ZDF thought that Greece itself hasn’t done enough to overcome the crisis. The ZDF poll’s margin of error was 3 percent.
Overly indebted Greece, which is about to enter its sixth consecutive year of a deep recession that has pushed unemployment up to 25 percent, is being kept afloat with rescue loans from its European partners and the International Monetary Fund in return for implementing harsh budget cuts and structural reforms.
“For the large majority of Greeks this upheaval comes with great sacrifices, especially the poor in Greece go through very hard times,” Merkel told the newspaper.
The chancellor added that assisting Greece was “in Germany’s interest” because it helps stabilize the 17-nation eurozone on which her nation’s prosperity depends.
“I will continue to do what is best for Germany and Europe and what keeps the financial consequences as little as possible and does not expose us to unacceptable risks,” she said.
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 472 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 356 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Gang of 8 needs to fix massive Obamacare loophole with immigration bill
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to Cannes
- US stock market recovers most of an early loss
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Gunmen kill 7 Iraqi soldiers in central Iraq
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Violence in Somalia scares investors, aid workers