Stevie Wonder Cancels Israel Concert Over Public Pressure: ‘I Am and Have Always Been Against War’
Music legend Stevie Wonder is calling off a concert for a group that raises money for the Israeli military, Reuters reports.
Wonder had been scheduled to perform on Dec. 6 for Friends of the Israel Defense Forces, which raises money for Israeli soldiers and their families, but canceled over public pressure and his position with the United Nations.
Apparently Wonder is an official “Messenger of Peace” for the global organization, and the U.N. suggested someone with such a title not support Israel’s military. The United Nations overwhelmingly voted to recognize a Palestinian state on Thursday, though, over vehement U.S. and Israeli objections as hopes for Mideast peace talks stalled.
“Given the current and very delicate situation in the Middle East, and with a heart that has always cried out for world unity, I will not be performing at the FIDF Gala,” Wonder said in a statement to Reuters.
According to E Online, Wonder added:
“I am respectfully withdrawing my participation from this year’s event to avoid the appearance of partiality…As a Messenger of Peace, I am and have always been against war, any war, any where. In consistently keeping with my spirit of giving, I will make a personal contribution to organizations that support Israeli and Palestinian children with disabilities.”
According to a statement from the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation, a coalition that aims to change U.S. policy toward Palestine and Israel and support human rights and equality, Wonder’s decision came after a “growing outcry” from several organizations and three international signed petitions.
The protest is part of a “cultural boycott” led by organizations that oppose Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories, the statement said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 846 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 279 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 242 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 240 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 166 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 180 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 183 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Sprint to listen to Dish offer
- Does France have right plan to revive its economy?
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Oil price falls toward $96 per barrel
- Housing recovery gives boost to Home Depot 1Q
- Tunisia announces 3 cases of coronavirus, 1 death
- More attacks across Iraq kill 7 people
- Syria, Israel exchange fire over border