NBC’s Bob Costas Interrupts Sunday Night Football With Gun Control Lecture
Jason Whitlock, the columnist who inspired Costas’ gun control lecture, has now claimed that the “NRA is the new KKK.” Read about it here.
Fellow sportscaster Jim Gray also offered an endorsement of Costas’ comments during a Monday appearance on Fox. See what he had to add about gun control — and also how fast he backtracked — here.
NBC Sportscaster Bob Costas took a detour from his usual discussion of athletics during Sunday Night Football to lecture his audience on gun control.
Discussing the shocking murder-suicide that rocked the NFL over the weekend, when Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend and then committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager, Costas argued that domestic disputes are more likely to end in such a fashion if the government does not limit people’s access to firearms.
Writer Jason Whitlock, with whom I do not always agree but today said it so well that we may as well just quote or paraphrase from the end of his article.
Our current gun culture, Whitlock wrote, ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead.’
Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.
In the coming days, Jovan Belcher’s actions and their possible connection to football will be analyzed. Who knows? But here, wrote Jason Whitlock, is what I believe: If Jovan Belcher didn’t possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.
Here’s the video, via MRC-TV:
Twitchy captured the flabbergasted and impatient tweets of viewers:
Here are some others:
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 466 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 324 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 319 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 262 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 146 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 199 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 139 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet