Columnist Who Inspired Costas Gun Control Lecture Now Claims ‘NRA Is the New KKK’
NBC sportcaster Bob Costas made headlines yesterday after interrupting Sunday Night Football with a lecture on gun control, following the horrifying murder-suicide of NFL player Jovan Belcher over the weekend.
However, most of his speech was just paraphrasing a recent article by Kansas City columnist Jason Whitlock, who Costas claimed “said it so well” that additional commentary was unnecessary.
Now, with national media attention turned his way, Whitlock is taking his argument for gun control to an entirely new level. Apparently he thinks the National Rifle Association is the “new” Ku Klux Klan.
Newsbusters has the transcript from Whitlock’s interview with Roland Martin:
WHITLOCK: Sports gets so much attention, and people tune out the real world, that I try to take advantage of the opportunity to talk about the real world when sports lends itself to that and try to open people’s eyes. You know, I did not go as far as I’d like to go because my thoughts on the NRA and America’s gun culture – I believe the NRA is the new KKK. And that the arming of so many black youths, uh, and loading up our community with drugs, and then just having an open shooting gallery, is the work of people who obviously don’t have our best interests [at heart].
I think it’s obvious if you’ve traveled abroad, and traveled to countries where they actually have legitimate gun laws, that we don’t have to have what we have here in America, where people somehow think a gun enhances their liberty, and that people somehow think a gun makes them safer. It just doesn’t. A gun turns some kids listening to music into a murder scene. And uh, you know, if you don’t have a gun, you drive home. You know, kids listening to some loud music, you don’t like it… you go home and complain to your wife. But when you have a gun, you open fire, potentially, and take the life of a child.
Obviously, Jovan Belcher was disturbed. Obviously, you know, there were problems between he and his girlfriend. But if there’s no gun, potentially, it’s a domestic-violence issue that doesn’t end in death. Maybe it ends in someone getting hurt, and Jovan going to jail and getting some help. But, you know, any time you add a gun to a situation, you just enhance the consequences. [Emphasis added]
Here is the audio:
Updates will be added.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 604 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 526 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 414 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 355 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 303 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 156 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- East title series shifts to Indy, knotted at 1-1
- Israeli expert says Syria cyberattack foiled
- Israeli official says Syria cyberattack foiled
- Female suicide bomber injures 18 in Russian region
- Kim joins 2 for LPGA lead in rainy Bahamas
- 16 children, 1 teacher die in Pakistan bus fire