S.E. Cupp Gets Into Heated Debate With Co-Host Over Bob Costas’ Gun Control Rant: ‘Absolutely Absurd’
During Monday’s edition of “The Cycle” on MSNBC, TheBlaze’s S.E. Cupp blasted NBC Sports’ Bob Costas for lecturing his audience about gun control during Sunday Night Football, calling it a “shameful” and “irresponsible” act. Costas was responding to Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher’s recent murder-suicide.
Cupp sparred with fellow co-host Steve Kornacki over whether guns or individuals are to blame for such tragedies, particularly involving domestic disputes.
“When we’re talking about the weapons, we’re not talking about domestic violence,” Cupp said. “And that does a huge disservice to a woman who is in that situation.”
Cupp said it was irresponsible for Costas to tell “millions of NFL viewers that they have permission to blame guns instead of the person who pulled the trigger.” She went on to say that giving an “inanimate object” human capabilities is “absolutely absurd.”
Costas, reading from sports columnist Jason Whitlock’s column, said:
“Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.”
“Bob Costas has, I think, done something shameful and irresponsible and is going to have some blood on his hands if we continue to talk about the wrong problem, what is not the problem: handguns,” Cupp said.
Kornacki jumped in and immediately attempted to discredit Cupp’s argument.
“I wish you’d grapple with some of the statistics that are out there, S.E., before you say something like that,” Kornacki replied.
“I’ve written about this a lot, Steve, and very few domestic violence cases are committed with handguns. That’s a fact,” Cupp shot back.
Kornacki said that a domestic dispute is 12 times more likely to end in homicide when there is a firearm in the house. The source of the information is “John Hopkins University Center for Gun Control.” He also argued that the risk of homicide increases by 5 times for women when there is a gun in the house (Source: American Journal of Public Health). Finally, Kornacki said two out of three women killed by guns are involved in domestic disputes (Source: U.S. Department of Justice).
Watch the tense segment via MSNBC below:
“There is a link here,” said Kornacki. “It takes a horrible situation where a woman gets beat up, but at least has a chance to get out with her life and get away from that situation, it takes that and it makes her dead.”
Cupp countered by saying most women in domestic disputes are in danger because of “fists and hands,” adding that “anything can be a weapon.”
“I think Bob Costas could have had a really great moment if he realized that he had a captive audience, mostly of men, to talk about the horrors of domestic violence,” Cupp added.
“And ignore the element that takes domestic violence and makes it 12 times more likely to lead to somebody dying? Let’s just ignore that,” Kornacki replied.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 472 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 425 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 102 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Austria wants EU arms embargo to Syria extended
- Multiple aftershocks follow 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane
- World stocks lower after big sell-off
- Zimbabwe activist: Prisoners denied AIDS drugs
- Niger defense minister: Hostages freed in Agadez
- Steely Cotillard shines in 'The Immigrant'
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested