Bob Costas Says Gun Control Lecture Was a ‘Mistake’ But…
NBC Sports’ Bob Costas ignited a firestorm after his controversial remarks on gun control during the Sunday Night Football halftime show. He was responding to the tragic murder-suicide involving NFL linebacker Jovan Belcher, who killed his girlfriend and then committed suicide at the Kansas City Chiefs practice facility.
While he has refused to walk back his remarks, Costas almost apologized for the rant during an interview for “The Dan Patrick Show,” saying it was a “mistake” to make such a complex argument when there wasn’t enough time to “flesh” it out.
Costas said he has received “tremendously positive” feedback as well as “considerable backlash” following his comments. He blamed some of the backlash on a coordinated effort by the “gun lobby.” He told Patrick that he was informed by a producer he would have about 1 minute and 15 seconds to talk about the Belcher case. He chose to use that time to read from sports columnist Jason Whitlock’s column, which blames guns for the tragedy.
“My mistake is I left it open for too much communication,” he said. He then blamed the criticism that followed on a lack of time to thoroughly discuss “football culture, the gun culture, domestic violence.”
Costas went on to say that he violated his own broadcasting rule:
“A friend of mine in broadcasting pointed this out to me yesterday, and I agree with him. He said, ‘you violated your own rule.’ Because we have had this discussion before. I’ve always said, if you’re going to get into touchy topics, nuanced topics, make sure that you have enough time to flesh them out…or save them for forums where you do. In this particular situation, the timeliness of it was, if you’re going to comment on it at all, it had to be this Sunday.”
Watch Costas’ appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show” below:
Costas also blasted his critics who have called for him to be fired over the incident, saying it’s “beyond absurd” to want everyone you disagree with to be fired.
“This is simply a case of: some people don’t agree with it, or they don’t agree with what they think I was saying, and therefore, it would be okay if I was booted off the air … ‘yeah, let’s fire everybody we don’t agree with.’ It’s beyond absurd.”
He joked that there is apparently more regard for the Second Amendment in some circles than free speech.
So where does Costas really stand on the Second Amendment? He explains: “Well, here’s where I stand: I do not want to see the Second Amendment repealed.”
“People should be able to own guns for their own protection. Obviously, those who are hunters,” Costas added. “The access to guns is too easy in some cases. I don’t see any reason why a citizen should be able to arm himself, as they can in some states and some cases, arm themselves in ways that only the police or the military should able to — to have a virtual militia purchased by mail order or purchased at gun shows. Why do you need a semi-automatic weapon? What possible use is there for a citizen to have a semi-automatic weapon?”
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 481 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 426 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 388 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 311 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 115 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 113 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 219 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 204 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 114 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- School storm protection is spotty in tornado zones
- Obama threatens veto of House student loan plan
- House committee passes Iran sanctions legislation
- London terror attack leaves 1 dead near barracks
- Facebook posts: Suit filed over vet's detention
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Target's 1Q profit drops 29 pct on weak sales
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles of govt travelers