Conflict of Interest? MSNBC Hosts & Other ‘Influential Progressives’ Visit White House to Discuss Tax Policy
If MSNBC President Phil Griffin really does want to shake the network’s pro-Obama image, having its most recognizable figures visit the White House to discuss President Barack Obama’s tax proposals isn’t exactly a great start.
On Tuesday, four of MSNBC’s prime time TV hosts were spotted entering the West Wing of the White House for a special meeting with the president. These hosts included, Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Al Sharpton and Lawrence O’Donnell. Interestingly, Chris Matthews, a notoriously enthusiastic Obama supporter, was not included on the guest list.
Schultz confirmed that he would be meeting with Obama via his official Twitter account to discuss the “fiscal cliff.”
On my way to DC to visit with the President on fiscal cliff…Nancy Pelosi joins me tonight on the Ed Show..
— Ed Schultz (@WeGotEd) December 4, 2012
Just outside the Press office at the White House… twitter.com/WeGotEd/status…
— Ed Schultz (@WeGotEd) December 4, 2012
“This afternoon at the White House, the President met with influential progressives to talk about the importance of preventing a tax increase on middle class families, strengthening our economy and adopting a balanced approach to deficit reduction,” White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said in a statement.
Huffington Post reporter Jennifer Bendery reported that a White House spokesperson said Obama scheduled the meeting with Maddow and “other progressives” to discuss the “importance of extending the Bush middle-class tax cut.”
WH spox says Obama mtg with Maddow, other progressives to discuss importance of extending the Bush middle-class tax cut.
— jennifer bendery (@jbendery) December 4, 2012
Mediaite reports, citing a source familiar with the meeting, that other “progressive media” members were in attendance on Tuesday, including staffers from the Washington Post, Daily Kos, and HuffPo.
As previously mentioned, MSNBC’s president told the Huffington Post that he wants to shake the network’s pro-Obama image. How do you think it’s going so far?
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 512 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 468 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 350 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 326 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Socialists try to form new govt in Bulgaria
- Britain: Soldier slaying suspects had been probed
- Sorrentino serves up a cinema banquet at Cannes
- Stock slump continues on Wall Street
- Czech police seek US man suspected of 4 murders
- Ralph Lauren's 4Q profit rises 35 pct
- Taliban rickshaw bomb kills 13 in Pakistan
- UEFA introduces minimum ban for racist abuse