Ohio College Actually Said ‘Men Working’ Sign Was Too Offensive to Display
There are few who want a return to the days when women were treated as amusing diversions better suited to cooking dinner than contributing to the workforce. Some, however, seem to believe that we are just a step away from such a place, and any minor incident could see women tumble back decades if we are not constantly on the alert.
Following an election where the alleged “War on Women” was a major incentive to vote for a number of citizens, an Ohio community college asked a construction crew to remove the common “Men Working” sign after an administrator reportedly found it sexist and non-inclusive.
Fox News’ Ted Starnes has more:
The construction crew at Sinclair Community College in Dayton was forced to stop working until the sign had been removed.
A spokesman for the college told Fox News that they have a deep commitment to diversity and take it quite seriously.
“While it may not have been necessary to suggest work be stopped, we stand by our commitment to providing an environment that is inclusive and non-discriminatory,” director of public information Adam Murka told Fox News.
The controversy started when a female employee took issue with the “Men at Work” sign. Murka said the employee suggested several alternative phrases to the hard hats – including “construction zone.”
He said the construction worker complied with the college’s demands and removed the sign. At this point it’s unclear what the wording of the replacement sign will be.
Commenters are both amused and startled that a construction team would actually have to remove a sign for a grievance that would once be limited to a liberal arts classroom and people who have never had jobs. But is this just another adaptation of the language, like the shift from “stewardesses” to “flight attendants”?
One Fox News commenter joked about the next step: “Men and Women restrooms seems divisive also…in fact, ‘no dogs allowed’ seems unfair to everyone except the cat.”
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 477 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 385 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 325 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 195 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 143 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 109 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- NY funeral for student accidentally shot by police
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums
- Cameron: 'Indications' London attack terror
- Redford swept away in shipwreck saga 'All Is Lost'
- Maine man appears in court in missing teen's death
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion