South Dakota City’s New Distracted Driving Ban to Include…Eating
Getting caught shoving a few French fries in your mouth while driving in a South Dakota town could cost motorists $15 starting in 2013.
The city of Huron with a population of nearly 13,000 passed an ordinance Monday that not only bans texting while driving but also cites other distracted driving activities, like eating, as potential infractions.
As Mayor Dave McGirr put it, according to the Associated Press, the City Commission’s ban includes distracted driving activities like eating pizza and reading the newspaper.
According to an article in the Huron Plainsman before the ordinance was passed, the city’s public safety committee proposed that distracted driving be considered a secondary offense if the person was initially pulled over for other traffic infractions, such as speeding or running a red light. Texting while driving, though, the commissioners wanted to be considered a primary infraction that would allow police to pull them over without the another reason.
Here is part of the proposed definition for distracted driving:
“inattentive driving while operating a motor vehicle that results in the unsafe operation of the vehicle where such operation is caused by reading, writing, performing personal grooming, interacting with pets or unsecured cargo, using personal communications technologies or engaging in any other activity which causes distractions.”
Texting or distracted driving bans would will only apply if the vehicle is in motion, the Plainsman reported.
The ordinance goes into effect in 2013, starting with a grace period where police will issue motorists warnings as they become familiar with the new rules. Getting caught texting while driving will cost $100, while other distracted driving actions could cost $15.
Drivers in training are barred from taking on the phone while driving as long as they have learner’s permit status as well.
Featured image via Shutterstock.com.
(H/T: Drudge Report)
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 459 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 430 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 246 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 108 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 130 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Veteran DB Charles Woodson returns to Raiders
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Owner: Chinese boat's captain beaten by NKoreans