Egyptian Women Begin to Fight Back Against Rampant Sexual Assault — And Who Do They Think Is Behind It?
The grassroots Egyptian media organization Mosireen has put together a video on how Egyptian women are are starting to fight back against sexual assault– and it contains some noteworthy information on who they think the perpetrators are.
Most Americans were introduced to the horrors of how women can be treated in Egypt– particularly the iconic Tahrir Square– after CBS reporter Lara Logan was viciously attacked while reporting on the so-called “Arab Spring.” A number of foreign reporters have been assaulted since, and not surprisingly, Egyptian women find themselves targeted just as often.
“Why shouldn’t women go out to Tahrir?” an Egyptian girl says as the video opens. “It’s their right! This is their country! The sexual assaults are part of the reason they’re going out to the square in the first place.”
The clip then goes over the background of how women are treated– including a horrifying aerial image of a jostling mob seemingly attempting to surround a girl– before a field doctor from a Tahrir clinic is interviewed.
“Most of the time they form a long chain moving together, their hands on each other’s backs like a train…They push into the crowds of protesters and they pick particular people – foreigners or Egyptians – they start surrounding them, and then the assault starts…”
The video cuts back to the animated Egyptian girl from the beginning of the video:
“They attacked the girls. They ripped off their clothes and sexually assaulted them. I’m so disgusted, I feel a huge sense of guilt because we weren’t able to get to anyone. I’m trying to help in any way I can.”
A second girl then explains how, though sexual assault has always been a problem, it has markedly increased with the recent wave of unrest against Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.
The attacks “took place in a very organized way,” she states evenly, “which makes us suspect that someone is behind these assaults.”
In her opinion, which is seconded by the Egyptian field doctor, it is likely that someone is orchestrating the attacks to make the protesters look like “human trash who assault women.” The obvious implication would be that President Morsi’s regime is behind it, though both stop short of explicitly calling out the man who recently gave himself absolute power.
But over the weekend, the Daily Mail reported on similar allegations that Morsi is “paying gangs to go out and rape women and beat men protesting in Egypt.” At the very least, the current regime is wildly failing at keeping the streets safe.
A young man then appears to explain how he and others have begun rescue groups for girls in need. Their efforts are still in the extremely fundamental stages, but they have to start somewhere:
“The most important step in preventing an attempted assault is to first reach the girl…You have to do it calmly and without making any violent moves until you’ve reached her. Try to stay calm, try not to shout, try as much as possible to calm her down and secure her because she’ll be panicking and afraid of everyone around her.”
Watch the entire video, below (click on the “CC” on the bottom right toolbar to see the subtitles):
(H/T: Gateway Pundit)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 418 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 367 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 295 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 105 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 210 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 163 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK PM: London attack near barracks could be terror
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles for govt travelers
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Boy achieves family dream with geography bee win
- Others who took the 5th: McGwire, Abramoff, North
- UK PM: London attack terror could be terror