‘The Simpsons’ Tries to Explain the Fiscal Cliff: It’s About Giving the Rich ‘All the Money’
“The Simpsons” is the longest-running scripted show in American history, and has won countless awards since its inception. It remains one of the most-watched programs in the country, and while everyone knows the characters get into ridiculous situations, its approach to politics is noteworthy. Many of its viewers likely don’t spend hours keeping up-to-date with current events, and will understand the show as an exaggerated, satirical form of reality (particularly if it reinforces a popular narrative).
To explain the impending “fiscal cliff” — a combination of the Bush tax rates expiring and automatic spending cuts to vital institutions like the military — an upcoming episode of “The Simpsons” (a teaser clip posted Tuesday is below) put it simply: If you don’t give the rich “all the money,” they’ll drive you off a cliff.
The scene opens with a crack of thunder and a sign reading “rape now bad” as the camera zooms into a stately Republican mansion.
Surrounded by a fallen “Romney-Ryan” posters, books reading “binder,” “women,” and ‘Nate Silver Can’t Add,” stereotypical wealthy villain Mr. Burns explains:
“Think of the economy as a car and the rich man is the driver. If you don’t give the driver all the money, he will drive you over a cliff. It’s just common sense…Furthermore, rich people feel things more deeply than the common man.”
The scene then cuts to an image of the local “billionaires club” on election night, as women wail and a man holds a gun to his head.
To adapt to the changing times, Burns then says he embraces immigration reform.
“I have a progressive proposal to let into this country 200 grimy Irishmen a year. I’ve got lots of potatoes that need peeling and staples to be mucked out,” he remarks.
Watch the entire clip, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 479 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 422 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 384 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 303 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 110 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 112 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 214 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 196 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Inaugural tournament cut to 54 holes
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Jennifer Lopez to open cellphone stores
- Kerry: US, allies ready to step up aid to rebels
- A divided Fed wrestles with when to slow bond buys
- Obama to honor Carole King at White House concert
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill