NFL May Be Contemplating Major Rule Change That Could Alter the Game Dramatically
Could American football games someday never have the crescendoing ”ooooooaaaahhhh” from the fans of the home team as the kicker of the rival runs toward the pigskin in a kickoff play? They might not if the idea mentioned by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to do away with the kickoff comes to fruition.
How you might ask would the ball be returned to the other team? Goodell explained in a Time magazine profile by Sean Gregory:
[...] after a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it’s fourth and 15. The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession, or punt. If you go for it and fall short, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, punts would replace kickoffs, and punts are less susceptible to violent collisions than kickoffs.
“The fact is,” Goodell, told Gregory of the idea first posed by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano, “it’s a much different end of the play…It’s an off-the-wall idea. It’s different and makes you think differently. It did me.”
ESPN explained that Schiano, who coached at Rutgers University in 2010, witnessed player Eric LeGrand receiving a paralyzing injury a during a kickoff return:
Schiano told ESPN The Magazine in September that he believed kickoffs would eventually be eliminated from pro football. “I believe that day will come. Unfortunately, it will probably take more players being seriously hurt. But I think there’s another way to do this.”
The NFL has already instituted new kickoff rules to make that portion of the game safer. According to the NFL earlier this year, the new rules have already helped reduce the number of reported concussions in the league. Last season, the NFL moved kickoffs up to the 35-yard line (a five yard adjustment), which has increased the number of touchbacks.
In addition to reducing the risk of “catastrophic injury,” according to NBC Sports, such a move would also give punters, long snappers and gunners, as well as punt return teams, more time and value on the field. At the same time, though “kickoff specialists would become extinct, and return specialists who are much better returning kicks than punts would be far less valuable to the broader roster,” NBC Sports pointed out.
Just as not all fans were happy with the league moving up the kickoff a few yards, Gregory speculates the idea to eliminate it completely would not be well received either, as it is often an exciting part of the game that can occasionally yield long returns. And if teams start taking advantage of the opportunity, it could alter the game dramatically.
Let us know what you think about this proposal by taking our poll:
Read more of Gregory’s in-depth profile of Goodell in Time magazine here.
Featured image via AP
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 469 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 448 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 418 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Workplace Violence? Obama Finally Says Fort Hood Shooting Was ‘Inspired by Larger Notions of Violent Jihad’ Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 113 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets That Can Turn You Into a Detective Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Russia: Syrian regime may take part in peace talks
- UK police: 2 men arrested after flight from Pakistan to England diverted
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Q&A: On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
- UN chief challenges African leaders over Congo
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute